Why become a member? ×

sadowsky preamp

jerseytrev

just bouncing some ideas . my $$ is fine ,but my fortress has not got the growl . was thinking of getting a sadowsky preamp external . as i am thinking of getting a passive type jazz either a fender or lakland. will the preamp give my fortress a bit extra . also could the preamp even give my $$ a bit more . or am i living in never never land .

I love mine to bits (it's one of the original 3-knob jobbies) but you MUST try before you buy.

It cuts through beautifully and gives a really clean boosted sound, but IMO there's not a huge amount of variety in the tone/sound. If you like the tone (and I do) then it's great.

I'd offer to let you try mine, but I suspect you'd get your feet wet getting here ...

Can't speak for the Sadowsky, but I've used the Aguilar DB924 (very similar) in this way - to give me an "active tone" option for passive basses. Works well, especially the bass boost. Takes an old style jazz bass from "jamerson/jaco" to "marcus" or "will" . Doesn't seem so useful on a P style bass but I do sometimes use it if I am looking for a heavier tone.

I've only ever tried the Sadowsky pre-amp as fitted to the current NYC basses. There are two bands (bass and treble) and boost only. IMO these basses didn't need any active help and I found my favourite sound was with the amp flat and the passive tone rolled off very slightly. TBH unless the chosen frequencies are missing from your amps controls and they happened to emphasise the character of the bass that you wanted I wouldn't bother. Definitely you'll need to try before you buy.