Why become a member? ×

Parametric EQ Puzzle

Chewie

Evening all,

This may sound like a gormless thread but bear with me.

The parametric eq on my Shuttle 6.2 has a Mid and a Mid Freq knob. The Mid runs between -15 and +15 and the Mid Freq runs between 150Hz and 2KHz. This surely means I can only be at one frequency at a time, right? I've been reading that 400Hz is warmth, 800Hz is a growly & 2KHz is clanky and defined. How can I have a bit of all of that?

Am I missing something here? Are these parmaetric eq's crap?

I feel gas.........

It's a bit more complicated than that. The centre frequency isn't the only one you will be adjusting. Depending on the Q (the width/range of frequencies that are affected) that the manufacturer has chosen to build in, you will alter a range of surrounding frequencies too. On a 'scope, the effect of the parametric will look like a 'V' (pointing either up or down depending on whether you cut or boost), with the chosen frequency at its centre. It's rather a broad brush description to speak of 400Hz as warmth, 800Hz as growly & 2KHz as clanky. You may find that 2khz will be within the range of the high frequency/treble adjustment. It's best to ignore the numbers on the dial and make adjustments by ear.

Not a bad description. Cutting is generally better than boosting, because it places less demand on the amp and cab. To get started, what I would do is to set a decent amount of cut - say, -6db - and then experiment with the frequency control and see how the sound is affected. You'll soon find a setting you like. Once you have found it, experiment with decreasing or increasing the amount of cut to fine tune it. It's pretty straightforward (it has to be, or us bass players wouldn't understand it...). Have fun.

As you have touched on and Dan explained These controls a useful for boosting or cutting at a desired freq. Typically though it sounds as though Genz are tempting potential buyers by describing the sounds that could be achieved.
In practice the whole purpose of these controls on an Amp is to enable you to deal with troublesome frequencies on the gig. So if you find you sound too Honky in a room with hard surfaces you will be able to find the freq causing the problem and cut the volume at that freq so your rig sounds as it does normally, likewise should you find the carpeted area you're set up in, sucks out your low mids you have the means at your disposal to boost some back in to counter that. It is more about maintain your consistent tone you like from your bass and not as an effect knob.

Hope that helps all the best

I always think of it like tuning in a radio with these eq types. For cutting pull back the volume about 6db as suggested and slowly ‘dial in’ a sound which works. For boosting it’s the same principle. Add about 6db and again tune in to what works in your mix. I get the singer to do it if I’m playing with the band to get levels or a good mix at the start of rehearsal or sound checking.