Why become a member? ×

Rude sounding pups and pres

bassjamm

Hello guys and girls,

I'm thinking about getting a good old 4 string Jazz bass but want to have some rude bass soundage going on.

The best way i can describe this is that i've played some active Fenders that sound big but the eq has been unusuable to the greatest extent, but i've played bassed like the Mike Lulls at the Gallery that have quality pickups and pre-amps in that offer a really awesome rude sounding jazz bass!!!

I guess it's that nice phat R'n'B/Funk sound, but i'd still like that Jazz bass 'honk'!!!

If at all possible, i'd like to keep it down to a 3 knob solution, don't mind stacked ones (like the active jazzes) but i don't want to have to get to trigger happy with the whole making holes thing! A Vol/Vol, Tone/Mid, Bass/Treble set-up would be killer if there is such a thing.

Any thoughts?

J

[quote name='Buzz' post='326438' date='Nov 11 2008, 01:30 AM']Wizard 84's?

Or possibly ask them nicely if they'll do you some overwound beasty pups?

They'll be passive, but you can keep vol/vol/tone and the output will be much better (monsterous if you ask Andy and co to overwind them).[/quote]
And ask him to wrap them in tape to protect the windings!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='326357' date='Nov 10 2008, 10:29 PM']I guess it's that nice phat R'n'B/Funk sound, but i'd still like that Jazz bass 'honk'!!![/quote]

So basically the Modern Gospel/Urban Funk tone with the classic growl?

Well why not look into Ken Smiths/Roscoes/Sadowskys/MTD's/Skjolds? Or even another F-Bass Jamie?

[quote name='Josh' post='326717' date='Nov 11 2008, 01:25 PM']So basically the Modern Gospel/Urban Funk tone with the classic growl?

Well why not look into Ken Smiths/Roscoes/Sadowskys/MTD's/Skjolds? Or even another F-Bass Jamie?[/quote]

Yep, that sound my friend.

As for your suggestions...The F Basses don't have that sound in my opinion, far too polite.

But as i said in my original post, i'd be looking to do up a standard Jazz bass not spend a shed load on a high end bass.

As for the Wizards, that's a possibility although i've never played any.

Thanks
Jamie

As for p/ups, I always liked the old style DiMarzio humbuckers - darker and stronger than trad jazzes, but with a good honk (and no single coil hum). I reckon an Aguilar 2band pre with those would be quite the thing. Trouble is, there isn't much room in a standard jazz bass cavity, so other than a JRetro you're probably going to need at least an extra battery space?

Sounds like fun....forget the vintage tone snobs...go for the filth!

BB

[quote name='BassBod' post='327118' date='Nov 11 2008, 09:29 PM']As for p/ups, I always liked the old style DiMarzio humbuckers - darker and stronger than trad jazzes, but with a good honk (and no single coil hum). I reckon an Aguilar 2band pre with those would be quite the thing. Trouble is, there isn't much room in a standard jazz bass cavity, so other than a JRetro you're probably going to need at least an extra battery space?

Sounds like fun....forget the vintage tone snobs...go for the filth!

BB[/quote]

lol...filthy!!! I like it, a nice mix of the two would be great!!!

Slap some seymour duncan basslines in there, i tried a mark hoppus bass with a basslines precision pickup and that sounded really bright/growly, same with my basslines MM pickup but a bit less bright and more growly, i'd imagine the jazz ones to be the same. And these are both run passive by the way, and they sounded sweet. 2 basslines jazz pickups, volume, blend, tone, sorted.

Edited by budget bassist

With J-J being probably the worlds most popular bass pick-up config, there's so much choice out there .

I'm looking to pimp my Warwick 'vette and pickups on the list are Delano or Bartolini (but if I was doing a jazz I'd also have Nordstrand on that list or EMG JVs). Preamp wise, the East/ACG is getting really good reviews and comes in a three stacked pot config.