Why become a member? ×

Korea's/McLaughlin's 5 peace band..

Faithless

My actual god, their bassist/upright bassist, Mr. Christian McBride was a total kill.. Tight as f*сk, interesting to listen in solos, groovy and cachy. I'm just lack of words.

BTW, gig was good enough, though, the front-line [Korea, McLaughin and [i]especially[/i] Garrett] sucked b*lls sometimes..
When Garrett played about 5 minute [ or maybe it was about 10, i don't actually know] solo, I thought, I'll throw somethin' at him - it was so tawdry.. Sorry all Garrett fans, but it was truly terrific..

Rhythm section was very good - I also enjoy Colaiuta's [or however it is written..] playing. Can't tell anything about solos, as I don't get drummers' solos, but my fellow drummer from band said it was awesome. Let it be here :huh:

Their tour has just started, but comments on them are greatly appreciated here..

Once again, McBride is god. And I'm more and more and more starting GAS'sing for fretless bass.. It's not only McBride's fault, Bona's too... :)

I caught their set at the the Cork Jazz festival a few weeks ago. Nothing short of transcendent. Every member brought something unique to the ensemble. I thought Garret's and indeed Corea's playing was exceptional. McLaughlin did leave me a little underwhelmed but far less so than when I've seen him with his 4th dimension group.

And yes, McBride is truly a master at doubling. I hadn't heard much of his electric playing before but he was right on it that night; funky as hell on that fretless Pensa. But his arco playing accompanying Chick during the opening bars of a tune I didn't recognise made the hairs on my neck stand on end! Reminiscent of Paul Chambers.

I encourage [i]everyone[/i], jazz afficianado or not, to catch them during this tour. I doubt there'll be another opportunity.

A wee taste :) :

[url="http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=x11veANL8bs"]http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=x11veANL8bs[/url]

Edited by jmanfunk

[quote name='jmanfunk' post='328030' date='Nov 13 2008, 01:05 AM']I hadn't heard much of his electric playing before but he was right on it that night; funky as hell on that fretless Pensa.[/quote]

Lastnight he was actually 'jerking' his Atelier Z 5-string fretless :huh: It sounded awesome. And he was playing through Hartke cabs.. :) Though, in his website it's written he uses Epifani family mainly.

But, the thing that actually shocked me - he uses Boss ME50 in his setup [didn't see it on stage,website again..] A bit strange choice here, or is it just me?..