Why become a member? ×

Adding Growl

Tee

I'm a Precision lover because i like its fatter tone (compared to JBs i've owned), thicker neck and general aesthetics. However, i miss the Jazz growl, which would work better for me on some tunes.

Amazingly, i haven't actually played a PJ configured bass (just one or the other). So, i'm wondering, would a PJ pup config on a Precision help get that bridge end growl and add it to the P's pick up, or does it have to be a Jazz? I'm simply looking to add a bit of jazz growl to a Precision sound.

So i guess this is one for all you PJ owners. :)

[quote name='Tee' post='328343' date='Nov 13 2008, 01:36 PM']I'm a Precision lover because i like its fatter tone (compared to JBs i've owned), thicker neck and general aesthetics. However, i miss the Jazz growl, which would work better for me on some tunes.

Amazingly, i haven't actually played a PJ configured bass (just one or the other). So, i'm wondering, would a PJ pup config on a Precision help get that bridge end growl and add it to the P's pick up, or does it have to be a Jazz? I'm simply looking to add a bit of jazz growl to a Precision sound.

So i guess this is one for all you PJ owners. :)[/quote]

I have a bass with Seymour Duncan P and J pickups and yes, it can sound very like Geddy Lee's Jazz.

I'd describe it as a 'snarl' rather than a 'growl' though.

Edited by bremen

Alright?

I love my PJ, but there is a compromise involved with them.

For me, they don't really ever sound completely like a P does even with the J totally rolled off. But you do get a much brighter aggressive tone out of them with the J rolled up. Much easier to hear over loud drums and overdrives my amp much more than the P does by itself. I wouldn't consider it jazz growl though. It's more like a brighter, more opened up P.

Also - a lot of factory PJs seem to come with Jazz necks on em. Mine sounds and feels a lot more P with the P neck I put on it...

[quote name='bigjohn' post='328381' date='Nov 13 2008, 02:30 PM']For me, they don't really ever sound completely like a P does even with the J totally rolled off.[/quote]

Why do you think this would be? Could it be the magnetic effect of the second pickup on the strings? Surely cutting the recess for the pickup wouldn't make that much difference?

Mine was never 'just' a P to start with, actually it's a Warmoth 'dinky P' so it's hard to say whether it'd sound like a P without the J. Maybe I should try adding a J to a real P, just in the interests of science.

Where do I apply for the research grant?

Thanks guys, hey bigjohn, i thought you'd pop in.

As usual it boils down to trying one and seeing if it's growly/snarly enough, or whether a jazz in itself is more the ticket. But as i'm not always able to get down to the shops, opinions are good.

I haved a set of EMG P and J pups for sale, theyre active though...you could have them for £60 posted. I also have a pretty decent chrome red P body routed for P and J that you can have for £20 plus post. The body has a couple of dings and a few extra screw holes that cant be seen when the pickguard is on. PM me if you're interested.

As for the sound...i'd agree with the above posters opinions...doesn't sound totally like a P when the bridge is rolled off completely...wee bit more mids to my ears.

[quote name='bremen' post='328388' date='Nov 13 2008, 02:36 PM']Why do you think this would be? Could it be the magnetic effect of the second pickup on the strings? Surely cutting the recess for the pickup wouldn't make that much difference?

Mine was never 'just' a P to start with, actually it's a Warmoth 'dinky P' so it's hard to say whether it'd sound like a P without the J. Maybe I should try adding a J to a real P, just in the interests of science.

Where do I apply for the research grant?[/quote]

F*ck knows!

My PJ though, sounds completely different than my P - both are MIMs from about the same year, both have US pickups in em. Although the straight P has a 62 reissue - there's a massive difference though.

There's gotta someone on here who's installed one on a P before.

I wonder if it's got something to do with the wiring and caps.

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='bigjohn' post='328421' date='Nov 13 2008, 03:20 PM']I wonder if it's got something to do with the wiring and caps.[/quote]

Is that you applying for the research grant then?

OK, I'll put in a quid if you try disconnecting all the wiring associated with the J pup and comparing the basses. I have a Wizard J pup that I *might* put in my FrankenP but I'm wary about disturbing its P-ness.

tee hee, I said P-ness

ps Who's that in your avatar, Tee? Looks like a right yob ;-)

Edited by bremen

[quote name='bremen' post='328425' date='Nov 13 2008, 03:25 PM']Is that you applying for the research grant then?

OK, I'll put in a quid if you try disconnecting all the wiring associated with the J pup and comparing the basses. I have a Wizard J pup that I *might* put in my FrankenP but I'm wary about disturbing its P-ness.

tee hee, I said P-ness

ps Who's that in your avatar, Tee? Looks like a right yob ;-)[/quote]

I'm going to have a good look at the wiring in my PJ anyway at some point, there's a bit of a crackle, and I was gonna change the cap.

I was also thinking about wiring it with some concentric pots in a VT/VT/master vol, but have read you can lose output with em so I've bottled it a bit! although I have the parts...

Would be an ideal time to see if disconnecting the J pickup increases it's P-ness.

Ironically my Spector Euro with a PJ config is IMO muh more growly than my previous SSII, I generally just love the way the Precision pick up adds the bottom whilst still letting alot of that elusive bridge p'up growl shine through without fail. Also, a while ago I had my local luthier install a J-p'up on my old Squire, and it really did bring in the growl. I'll admit this now, if I ever had to forcefully get a P-Bass it would need to have a PJ config, the J-P'up just give a rather dull sounding bass more life and much more definition.

Edited by Josh