Why become a member? ×

Moving on bitsa basses

Jimryan

Morning all,

Recently there was a thread about bitsa basses and how much they go for and people asking more than the original bass is worth. 

Admittedly, I've done this in the past, mainly to try and get back some of the money spent on parts and it got me thinking.

With the recent arrival I've my new fiver, my old one is now surplus to requirements and I'm thinking of shifting it (especially now I've a wedding to pay for).  The bass itself is one of the Harvey Benton deluxe precision and whilst (I think) it's a very nice bass and I know that shifting it would result in a massive loss.  However, when it comes to bitsa basses, do you guys reckon it's better to shift them whole (in the hope that someone is after what you've created), or to deconstruct it and sell the parts off separately? 

Cheers,

James 

If its based purely on getting as much money back as possible the parts are worth more than the whole bass, you might even get more if you separate the neck from the body but unless you are in a rush it's worth trying to sell the whole bass, you never know it might be exactly what someone is looking for. It's always sad breaking up a bitsa.

13 minutes ago, Rumple said:

It's always sad breaking up a bitsa.

Especially as we all enjoyed the process and result, to each of us the function and look better as theyre made.  A couple of years back I shifted a bitsa to took me a while to pit together, and I sold it whole, huge loss and only just managed to get what I paid for the neck alone.