Why become a member? ×

Amplifying an acoustic bass guitar- advice

Brook_fan

I’ve been using a Phil Jones Briefcase to amplify my custom Brook acoustic bass guitar.  Did a gig yesterday, and kept getting feedback on my low A string.  Maybe the graphic EQ on the Briefcase just doesn’t t cut it, I don’t know.  But it got me thinking about the best way to amplify it in future.  The bass has a Headway under saddle piezo.  Should I be looking at a dedicated acoustic/ double bass amp, such as the new Acus OneForBass?  Or should I be looking at getting a dedicated preamp? I am thinking what I really need is either an amp with true parametric EQ, so that I can nail problem frequencies with precision, or maybe a graphic EQ pedal?  Or something with a resonance filter?

I will probably be looking to move the Briefcase on anyway.  I like the specs of the Acus, and have used their gear before.  I also play baritone guitar, which this thing is ideal for.  But I also like the portability of the Briefcase.

Any thoughts?  Please don’t say I should ditch the acoustic and get an electric because that ain’t going to happen! I like it’s looks, I adore its sound, and one of my best mates made it for me!

Cheers,

Robbie

Anything with a parametric eq or notch filter feature will get rid of problem frequencies.

I use a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ which has this feature as well as other handy filters which work really well with acoustic and upright basses (especially the phase switch). It also has an excellent super clean DI and onboard tuner too. Annoyingly it's had a price cut since I bought mine:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fishman_platinum_pro_eq.htm?sid=bf990c77cc1c47c8fca01b0626deb098