Why become a member? ×

Chromes vs LaBella Flats tensions?!

Sibob

I have recently strung one of my Precisions with LaBella 760FS flats, the others are strung with 50-105 Chromes. I would say that the LBs are slightly lower tension, but there is very little in it. The Chromes are a lot brighter (in sound, not shininess!) and my now 2 month old LBs sound more mellow than a set of 10-12 year old Chromes I am still using.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FinnDave said:

Welcome! I am finding that I prefer the LaBellas and will change one or two more basses to them this year.

You don't find the LB's 'too dull'? Presumably you still get the note definition that you need?!
I don't have any issues with the Chromes that I have, I really like the tone I'm getting, but always interested in whether there are 'better' flats for my Precision :)

Cheers
Si

I think that's really down to the amp's EQ.  I like a quite thumping bottom end, but I was rehearsing yesterday and the band felt it was too boomy (I was using the rehearsal studio's amp and cabs) so I wound down the bass on the amp and boosted the upper mids, it then had bite to spare. And that was the LaBella equipped Precision, played with fingers. In fact, for my taste, it was too toppy, so I'll take my own amp and cab next time. 

So even a 'bassy bass' like a Precision with LaBellas on it can be made trebly. I think the LBs excel at producing a warm mid range that sits well in a live situation. Yesterday's band was a 6 piece, with two guitarists, keys and 2 drummers in addition to my bass.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I think that's really down to the amp's EQ.  I like a quite thumping bottom end, but I was rehearsing yesterday and the band felt it was too boomy (I was using the rehearsal studio's amp and cabs) so I wound down the bass on the amp and boosted the upper mids, it then had bite to spare. And that was the LaBella equipped Precision, played with fingers. In fact, for my taste, it was too toppy, so I'll take my own amp and cab next time. 

So even a 'bassy bass' like a Precision with LaBellas on it can be made trebly. I think the LBs excel at producing a warm mid range that sits well in a live situation. Yesterday's band was a 6 piece, with two guitarists, keys and 2 drummers in addition to my bass.

Thanks very much! :)

Si

I think if you're interested in La Bella flats then GHS Precision flats are definitely worth a shot. I found them a little more bright than LBs fresh on and found the tension/flex a little more forgiving. I do think Chromes are the lowest on tension of the three but it's marginal.

I would also throw Dunlop flats into the mix - I have no experience of them but they've been getting rave reviews over on Talkbass. 

• Thanks 1