Why become a member? ×

P-Bass Frankenstein project - completed!

NancyJohnson

For a while now, I've had a load of bass bits sitting around in my garage...essentially enough to make a Precision bass.  Everything was a bit knocked about, so it seemed only right to knock it about a bit more and screw it together.

The basic neck/body are from an old Sunn Mustang; an Indian built Fender-licensed Precision bass copy.  The neck was covered in a really think varnish, so I sanded that back and oiled it.  It was originally black, I'd sprayed it red years ago and done a matching headstock (which I also rubbed back).  The bridge?  Dunno,  It's roughly a BadAss II in size, heavy...it's been in a box for years.  I bought some Wilkinson tuners (£25) and a Warman pickup (£13) - I've used Josi Warman's stuff on other guitars, it's cheap and top notch.  Old set of Dunlop Straploks.  Bought a pre-wired loom (£10, incl. knobs) and a minty-green scratchplate (£17)...broke out the soldering iron and it lives.

I was considering putting in an MM pickup, but to be honest, it was more hassle than it's worth, so Josi helped me out.  It doesn't sound too bad really.  Neck is nice and straight, action is good an rattly.  I might put a decal on the headstock (not a Fender one).  Dunno if it's a keeper, but it plays nicely, so maybe.

27710220_10215442487197292_4925725289183