Why become a member? ×

Chewed 5mm hex?

neepheid

I recently decided to adjust the truss rod on my Takamine acoustic bass. Imagine my dismay when the truss rod nut had been chewed by some nitwit before me.

I discovered something today which may or may not help, depending on how badly chewed the hex nut is. Try turning it with a Torx driver, I found a T27 went in and turned the nut! Result!

I'm not saying that it will work in all instances (if the nut is totally chewed then it won't work, but if there are still some edges to work with it seems the Torx can move it.

Just thought I'd mention it here and see what people thought before putting it in the wiki somewhere.

Edited by neepheid

some truss rods can be unscrewed and removed ( Warwicks spring to mind) if it was me i would see if it could be removed while it's still possible, after a while those little tweaks may finish it off and lead to a major issue.

[quote name='steve-norris' post='331221' date='Nov 18 2008, 06:50 AM']some truss rods can be unscrewed and removed ( Warwicks spring to mind) if it was me i would see if it could be removed while it's still possible, after a while those little tweaks may finish it off and lead to a major issue.[/quote]

Oh, for sure. I was just amazed that it turned it at all. It was one of those things you randomly read online when you're trying to solve another problem and you think "no way, that'll never work" but you're intrigued enough to try it anyway :)

If it stops turning with this then it would be a case of cutting a slot in the head of the nut and using a large screwdriver, I guess.