Why become a member? ×

Noddy question about Bartolini pickups

uk_lefty

A few years back I bought two Bartolini J Bass bridge position pickups for my 90's MIM jazz bass. The reason for buying two bridge pickups was because the pickup route on these basses is the same size for each pickup for cost cutting. So the question is am I missing any tonal option by not having the neck specific pickup or is it the same as the bridge? And are the screw holes in the same position on each pickup? I've already bodged the pickguard and fitted a pickup cover so if a neck specific pickup would benefit and it will fit the existing screw holes I'm inclined to get one... But only if it will make any difference.

As an aside, I've seen the odd lefty bass with pickups installed "upside down". I didn't bother. Again, am I missing something?

I might be proved wrong but I don't think there is a sound difference between J pickups. The difference is size and its position on the bass.

Even less chance of hearing a difference if you have have a pre amp or a pan pot to balance the signal between the two pickups. If they'll fit I would use them.

Edited by chris_b

Some makers do voice the neck & bridge pickups differently. Usually by over-winding the bridge pickup, to give more output to compensate by less string vibration at this point. In a passive setup, this (in theory) should give you more equal output levels from both pickups. I think Nordstrand's singles, for example, do this. 

IIRC Bartolini make a variety of pickups in most of their shapes (including a variety of jazz-shaped ones), so there may (or may not) be a difference, depending on which flavour you've got :)