Why become a member? ×

Choices! 60s or 70s J pickup position

fretmeister

My Nordstrand order is on the way. The new J blade jazz pickups. The "Clean and Clear" version.

One will be installed in the bridge position of my EBMM P-Ray 5 (It's a ray5 but with an Aguilar P pickup in it. Passive). I'm going to make it a PJ set up.

But I don't know whether to put the J in the 60s or 70s position.

I'm a big fan of Duff's AFD tone but I also like a bit of Geddy. I can't decide! I realise most PJ basses are 60s position for the J, and I like them a lot, but I'm still wondering about going for the other option.

No I won't play jazz on it so I don't need the super nasal bridge pickup sound (I have a Marleaux for that), but I like some rasp to my drive tones as well.

Any ideas how to make the choice?

It will be staying passive and I'm going to use Stack knobs so each pickup has a vol and tone.

How much a a difference in position is it? How about a compromise - place the pickup in between the 60s and 70s positions? It could unleash a whole new world of tone... or leave you wondering if it actually makes much difference at all!

• Like 1