Why become a member? ×

More than one way to skin a cat...

TheGreek

People are always talking about "the right way" to play a piece of music.

When I learned to play I didn't learn where every note was, rather I learned the relationship between strings and notes.

For example, A on an E string is at the 5th fret, (5 up from the A string, 2 down from the D string and 3 up on the G string). Might be easier if you're holding a bass when you read this. So the same is true for every other note. Using this method if I can find a note on the E, I can find it anywhere on the neck.

I don't know that many covers and those I do I have learned by ear. I like to keep my playing in a single "handful" - trying not to go up and down the fretboard if I can play the same note within the 5 note range by going up a string (hope that makes sense).

Scott Devine recently did a video of "I want you back" by the Jackson 5, one of my favourite riffs, but in my opinion spent too much energy going all over the fretboard when all the notes are in the bottom 4 frets and open strings. In the chorus where the tune requires doubling up of the notes I play walking octaves which I feel makes it a bit more interesting/funky.

I checked online tonight: https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/the_jackson_5/i_want_you_back_bass_10844 and they have a similarly long handed route to playing the aforementioned riff.

I know that we may all come at a certain riff in a slightly different way but I find my way a lot more compact and energy conserving. I accept that once you've learned it one way muscle memory kicks in and that's the way you'll continue to play it.

I've pasted the details below (I think I've tabbed it properly). Which do you think easiest?

I want you back – Jackson 5

Verse (I play)

G|-------------|-------------------------1--|---1---1--------|

D|-------1-3---|-------0-1-2-3-----------1--|-4---4----------|

A|---2-3-----4-|-1-3-4---------3-4----1-----|----------------|

E|-4-----------|------------------4---------|----------------|

[Verse](Ultimate Tabs say)

G|---------------------------------------------------------|

D|-------1-3------------0-1-2-3---------------4-6-4-6------|

A|---2-3-----4----1-3-4---------3-4-----6---6--------------|

E|-4--------------------------------4-6---4----------------|

Chorus (I play)

G|-----------------|---6---5---3---|-----------------------------|

D|---6---5---3---1-|-------------1-|1---1---0-1-2-3--------------|

A|-----------------|-4---3---1-----|--1---1---------3-4-----6----|

E|-4---3---1-------|---------------|-------------------4-6---4---|

[Chorus](Ultimate Tabs say)

G|-----------------------------|-----------------------------|

D|-6-6-5-5-3-3-0-1-1-----------|1---1---0-1-2-3---------------|

A|-------------------4-4-3-3-1-|--1---1---------3-4-----6-----|

E|-----------------------------|-------------------4-6---4---|

I want you back.docx

Edited by TheGreek

This is the version I've always played, we did it at uni too and it was pretty much the same as this.

I'd be playing it from the 4th fret of the E string up, that's where I'd be playing the Ab. The highest note os the Db which I'd play on the 6th fret of the G string.

Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 21.48.58.png

When I checked on YT there are numerous ways of playing this riff.

The way I play starts with my little finger on the 4th fret of the E string and everything played between the 4th and the nut - in effect using major/minor scales starting with my pinky....more compact than most of the videos I saw.

28 minutes ago, ambient said:

My siamese objects to your thread title by the way :) 

Well, obviously you'd not be skinning a cat that can read.

Until it needs glasses...then you'd just need to make sure it kept its eyes peeled.

Edited by ahpook
  • Haha 1

Possibly, but what if you don’t want to play open notes? They invariably sound different to fretted notes, as well as notes higher on the neck sounding warmer and rounder (E on the 12th fret (octave) compared to 7th on A and 2nd on D).

You also talk about energy, well frets are closer together higher up the neck, so if your lateral movement is as smooth as it should be, that’s probably as equally energy conserving as playing everything in 1st position?!

Dunno :)

I think the lesson is to learn it ALL ways, then you have a choice. Positioning should always be a choice.

Si