Why become a member? ×

Musicman V Fender bushing size

40hz

Evening all,

I've bought some tuner bushings (Official Fender ones) for my USA SUB as I couldn't find any Musicman ones online. Upon trying to insert them, they are a literal 'smidge' too big. Are Fender headstock holes bored to a different measurement than Musicman? or is this a case of it having to be a snug fit?

I don't want to damage the bass in any way so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Si.

I've not fitted tuners to a Musicman but have done a fair few Fenders. Most of those have been a very snug fit, snug enough not to be able to just push them home by hand. I've placed a thin piece of hardboard on the underside of the head, another on top of the bushing and then squeezed the bushing in, using an adjustable clamp.

I would advice caution though and if you feel that they are too tight, then don't force it, instead you will need to open the holes up slightly. A reamer is the best tool, although you may be able to wrap sand paper around a suitable sized timber dowel.

Sorry, @gary mac I wouldn't like to use a clamp. Someone without experience could easily wreck the headstock, by splitting it down through the holes.

I would rather spend time with sandpaper and sand the holes bigger, or use a Dremel or reamer.  Even better get the right tuners.

Yes you're right Rich, which is why I advised caution. My point though, was even the correct sized ones that I've fitted on Fenders, have needed that method to get them installed. If I had opened up the holes to make it an easy fit, then they wouldn't fit snugly, the way that they should.

If the bass was on my bench, then I would know which method to go for but it's not, which is why I suggested alternatives.  :)

• Like 1

It is very easy to sand the holes too large ( i know this to my cost) so ever since that mistake I use a bolt with large washers as a clamp and slowly tighten the nut on the bolt thereby pushing the bushes in.

On the bolt which is almost the the same diameter as the inside of the bush I have 2 rubber tap washers and 2 steel washers and a nut. The rubber washers cushion the steel washers and prevent them cutting into the wood or scratching the bushes.

Go slowly, keep everything square and squeezing bushes in is simple.

• Like 1