Why become a member? ×

Potential phasing issues...help

Dudgeman

Hi

I have modded my precision bass to have a jazz pick at the neck ..both pick ups have their own jacks and independant wiring..right down to the grounds.  The new install is volume only..no tone pot...the original wiring for the P bass PU, volume and tone is unchanged. 

My problem is if I run both PUs into logic (pro 8) on sepatate channels (m audio 410 firewire) i lose nearly all the bottom end..like there is a phasing issue. If i just have the volume up on the original PU i get the familiar P bass sound. If i just run the neck pickup there is plenty of low end from the jazz pickup.

I have yet to try the set up with my amps (there may be no issue) I cant work out where the low end has gone using audio interface and logic....especially as both circuits on the bass are totally independant.

I am trying to work out if there is an issue with the bass...the interface...my sound card...logic....anyone got any preliminary thoughts as to what may be occuring....thanks

Have you tried swapping the hot/cold wires on the Jazz pup? That's an easy way of checking for a phasing issue. Or try reversing the phase of one pup channel in Logic as in vid below

If you were stood in front of me I could have kissed you for that logic link..wow..definitely a phase issue there...the bass sounds amazing now in DAW.. still yet to try on amps. Will do at next rehearsal...

I am hoping this is a DAW/interface  issue then and not the bass..although i have been loooking at wiring diagrams for 4 cable jazz PU's (there arent many) to make sure i havent missed something.. i have found some for hot stack PUs but then i need to know where the different coloured wires correspond too on the pick up! I only have one other issue that I am really struggling with and have done tons of research...at the moment it seems my m audio interface is direct minitoring and software monitoring at the same time causing the playing in a small room effect... 

It never used to do this and i cant seem to work out how to turn off direct monitoring...its all such fun...lol

Thank you for all your help over these threads..been invaluable..... cant wait to try this beast of a bass out at next rehearsal.... snarly gnashy thing that it is....