Why become a member? ×

Audio Kitchen 'The Big Trees' - Thoughts?

Riverstate

http://www.audiokitchen.co.uk/the-big-trees/

Stumbled onto this through a producer friend of mine. Liking what i see but not a whole lot of user feedback on the net other than single line testimonials from artists (Noel Gallagher, Queens Of The Stone Age, Blur etc). Fairly universal praise from them however. Any thoughts? Thinking of using it live on my board as a sort of preamp/overdrive and in the studio as an amp to give my DI some more of that sweet tube tone. 

Theres also a smaller version minus all the EQ options with just the clean boost - could be a more cost effective option to get that tone. 

http://www.audiokitchen.co.uk/the-small-trees/

Hi,

I have used the Big trees a few times. My brother in law is a producer and I've borrowed his a few times. 

It's very cool, tho I feel the amp/drive is more suited to guitar than bass. For me, it wasn't the kind of break up/drive I was looking for live tho I imagine it would sound killer as a blend in the studio.

That being said the clean side (the small trees) does wonderful things to the sound of your bass. It seems more upfront, richer and has a sparkle. I have used Reddis and tubeworks DIs in the past and this totally kills them! I'm actually saving up for one to put in my signal chain. 

Drop Steve a message at Audio Kitchen, he's a really good guy, informative and patient! 

• Like 1

Hi Attackbass. Thanks for the info.

So did you find a way of achieving the break up you wanted? I've been doing some scouting for a drive pedal to potentially pair with TST's. Seem to keep arriving at the combination of a TST's and an EarthQuaker Devices Westwood. Seen some monster tones come out of that thing by itself so the prospect of that and the tree has me intrigued. Would definitely be nicer on the wallet so if it's bass friendly too thats a win for me. 

Jack