Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a luthier in Bristol

Shambo

I'm looking for a luthier based in Bristol to set up a Stingray for me.

I could do it myself, but the adjustments would never end... up a bit, down a bit, back a bit, forward a bit, repeat ad infinitum. I'm happy to pay for a good pro luthier, then tell them how I'd like it to play. They can usually do a better job than me.

I hear Waghorn only does guitar builds now. Or that Eltham Jones doesn't work in Bristol very often.

Can someone recommend one to me please?

Simon Bamber of Sico set ups is in Hallen mate.

He is the mutts mutts and a properly nice guy. He used to work with Tom Waghorn.

Not sure it’s worth anything, but you can say I sent you.

He did a couple G&L bases and a couple Sandberg’s for me - my name is Ewan.

Honestly I wouldn’t go elsewhere

On 11/04/2018 at 15:05, Cuzzie said:

Simon Bamber of Sico set ups is in Hallen mate.

That was one I was looking at, and your recommendation is enough but... he lives outside of the city and I don't drive. I'd be looking at a 2+ hour journey on foot and bus each way... with Saturday morning my only window of opportunity to visit.

I might end up there yet if there are no other luthiers, in the city, somebody could put in a good word for.

12 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

is it worth getting a few bits and using one of the awesome online you tube things to help?

Oh, I've done quite a few setups before. I've got a set of allen keys and I'm not afraid to use them. I'll try and explain my reasoning to you, (and myself).

I want a full time luthier to do this because; a) they should be better at it than me, and b) because it's difficult to be subjective when adjusting an instrument for your own use.

If I do it myself, I'll be trying to make the bass feel familiar or 'right'. These adjustments could take months, years or forever.  If I tell a luthier how I want it, when I get the guitar back, (depending on how good a job I think they've done), I'm more likely to accept the instrument for what it is and adjust my playing style subtly to suit. Then I can just restrict myself to the twice yearly seasonal truss rod tweak, and use more brain power trying to play the damn instrument rather than trying to fettle it.

I put Labella flats on all my basses, (yes even Stingrays it seems), and only once. I'm probably more likely to sell a bass before swapping new flats for old.

I've always been happy to take an allen keys to a friends bass when asked, because I can be subjective and I don't have to live with it every day. Also, under the proviso that I am very much an amateur and that a pro luthier will do a better job than I could.

Hi Andy, I know how you feel. I do the same with my DBS. Having a pro work on it just puts your mind at rest and Labella strings will exert more tension on the neck than the new Rotos on there (make sure you don’t ditch those strings, I only put them on last week for an hour!).

I asked a friend and he recommended these guys in Stokes Croft:

http://www.edgeguitarservices.co.uk/

I actually need to take a guitar to get looked at by SiCo sometime (I need the pickup rewound and I’ve heard they do a good job) so if you’re stuck I can drop it in with mine but won’t be until next week sometimes.

2 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Hi Andy, I know how you feel. I do the same with my DBS. Having a pro work on it just puts your mind at rest and Labella strings will exert more tension on the neck than the new Rotos on there (make sure you don’t ditch those strings, I only put them on last week for an hour!).

I asked a friend and he recommended these guys in Stokes Croft:

http://www.edgeguitarservices.co.uk/

I actually need to take a guitar to get looked at by SiCo sometime (I need the pickup rewound and I’ve heard they do a good job) so if you’re stuck I can drop it in with mine but won’t be until next week sometimes.

Hi Lawrie.

Edge Guitar Services is the Mr Eltham Jones I mentioned earlier. I read somewhere, probably here, that he prefers to work from his workshop in Bridgend these days. I think I might just have to give him a ring this afternoon and see what the score is.

Thank you for the offer of the drop off, you're a good'un. ;)