Why become a member? ×

Easiest way to record/upload onto here?

TheGreek

I've been meaning to upload some sound clips/video of my Psilos bass onto here but as a dedicated technophobe I've managed to avoid it so far. I've had a couple of reminders so I'm looking to finally do it.

I'm not sure what equipment I'd need. I have a PC (no camera), an Ipad, an Android phone and a digital camera...which is the best/easiest to use and what is the process involved?

Well in terms of uploading to here, just drag and drop the file into the attachment system. 

You might prefer to upload a video to YouTube or an audio track to SoundCloud though depending on your preference. 

18 hours ago, SH73 said:

Do you record your music?

No...I am a total technophobe...I was thinking that the easiest way would be to record on my iPad then upload to YT as Ped suggests, but do I edit the video first? Once I upload to YT can I just add the link here in the same way as I would somebody else's video?

Just now, TheGreek said:

No...I am a total technophobe...I was thinking that the easiest way would be to record on my iPad then upload to YT as Ped suggests, but do I edit the video first? Once I upload to YT can I just add the link here in the same way as I would somebody else's video?

You could do some basic editing in terms of snipping off the beginning and end but I wouldn’t worry doing more than that. And yes once uploaded you just put the link here. 

@TheGreek

This is how I recorded my video.

I set up my audio recording. I used a bass amp with a microphone set up in front of the amp at a distance to get the desired sound. But you can plug your bass in an interface then into the laptop. Or record both with microphone and interface (direct input). 

I put my digital camera on tripod and pointed it in the area where I stood. I made sure that the camera captured what I wanted the viewers to see.i.e. the instrument and part of me. Once I was happy with the video and audio set up I pressed record on the camera, and pressed record in DAW.

To make editing easier at a later stage I would count to 4 or tap hand on the guitar body then wait a few seconds before playing. If you're playing to a background song and the sound is picked up via camera and DAW you don't have to count etc.

Once you're happy with the recording you can mix and master your audio then export it in a suitable audio file like mp3.

You then need a movie maker programme. Open movie maker and import  your video then audio of tge same recording. Sync video and audio, here is when counting or tapping hand allows you for an accurate sync. Once it's synced, mute the sound on the video and adjust volume on audio. Save your video and now you're ready to upload in you tube then paste the link in basschat thread.

Or you can upload the audio only to SoundCloud.

A good digital camera and even i pad, android phones pick up a good quality sound too, so you can use it as a starting point. 

To record audio separately you can buy a fairly cheap interface that comes with free DAW. They start at around £30.

• Like 1