Why become a member? ×

Busking bass amp

ScotiaBass

QTX QR10PA

It doesn't look like much, and it doesn't cost much, but it works very very well. It gets louder than you'll need and good battery life. It has two inputs but only one effective volume... however a little battery operated mixer (I have one 4 channel one that cost me less than £20) takes care of all that.

I have had mine for about 4 years now... 

Ignore the wireless mic that comes with it, 'though. It's useless. But you get a usb and aux inputs which are useful for backing tracks etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QR10PA-Portable-Wireless-Microphone-Connection-Black/dp/B017KO0K1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524938278&sr=8-1&keywords=qtx+qr10pa

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

... however a little battery operated mixer (I have one 4 channel one that cost me less than £20) takes care of all that. ... 

Not quite relevant to the OP, but may be of use -

Something that I only discovered recently - shortly after the purchase of a new mixer - is that small mixers that have a low voltage AC supply for them, typically 2 x 18 Vac, like Behringer, Mackie etc, cannot be used with  basic 12 V to 240 V inverters. The harmonics on the outputs of cheap inverters cause small transformers to overheat and fail very quickly. Switched mode power supplies giving a DC output are fine.

David

16 hours ago, ScotiaBass said:

That's magic bud, thanks. Looks like I was overthinking the problem. Aye I have all the mic stuff taken care of.

Tapadh leat  :)

Scotia

No problem :)

There are other versions, with a 12" and a 15" speaker, but the 10" one (the one I have) does a great job and it's just perfect to carry about: tiny and light. The wheels are not much use unless the surface is perfectly flat and even... I often just carry it by one of the metal bars at the back. I used to have a little trolley-bag where I could put that plus all assorted cables, clothing etc... 

I've used it with my bass, a mic to amplify a cajon, a vocal mic and an electric guitar through some FX box and coped very well. Then there were two other guitars with battery operated Roland amps, a trumpet and a sax. Plenty of volume for busking.

The bass sound is not going to win any awards, but it sounds decent. I was using a passive Precision for a while, and it was ok. The built-in tone controls are a little limited for "instrument tone shaping" and my Stingray sounds a lot better through it because I can use its preamp to adjust the sound better. There's a bit of hiss, but it's not noticeable on the street, only at home.

As I said, mine is 4 years old and the battery still holds its charge very well. I was wondering how long it would last and how I could replace it when it finally dies... but I'll probably just buy another when it happens.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2018 at 18:59, mcnach said:

QTX QR10PA

It doesn't look like much, and it doesn't cost much, but it works very very well. It gets louder than you'll need and good battery life. It has two inputs but only one effective volume... however a little battery operated mixer (I have one 4 channel one that cost me less than £20) takes care of all that.

I have had mine for about 4 years now... 

Ignore the wireless mic that comes with it, 'though. It's useless. But you get a usb and aux inputs which are useful for backing tracks etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QR10PA-Portable-Wireless-Microphone-Connection-Black/dp/B017KO0K1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524938278&sr=8-1&keywords=qtx+qr10pa

One of these might solve a problem for me too... thanks for sharing mate ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hiya McNach,

I've been looking for info online regarding recording with the PA. When I record, it does sound a bit "hissy", even when I have the recording volume at max, ie 30. I was wondering if you've found an optimal  way to record onto a USB stick with the PA?

Ta,

Scotia

4 hours ago, ScotiaBass said:

hiya McNach,

I've been looking for info online regarding recording with the PA. When I record, it does sound a bit "hissy", even when I have the recording volume at max, ie 30. I was wondering if you've found an optimal  way to record onto a USB stick with the PA?

Ta,

Scotia

Unfortunately I cannot help you there, I've never recorded with mine.

There's some noticeable hiss on mine at low volume. It doesn't matter out on the street, you can't hear it... but if it's in your recordings because the preamp is what's hissy it can be a bit of a bummer. I wonder if you can process the signal to tame it afterwards. There's a number of hiss-reducing methods developed during the tape era, maybe some of those can help. Maybe even sampling the hiss on its own and phase-invert it then add it to the original? It won't work perfectly as noise is random, but if it is on a relatively narrow frequency band, it might be useful? (I have never tried).

The short answer is no, I don't know how you could improve it at source. Recording was never something I was interested in from this box.

On 10/05/2018 at 01:11, ScotiaBass said:

Spot on bud. I've ordered the PA..All I need now is the Digitech Bass Synth Wah Envelope Filter  and I'm set  ;)

Amazing pedal.

it eats batteries like a bastard though. Can get through a 9v in A couple of hours if it’s on all the time. It needs proper power.