Why become a member? ×

SOLD ELSEWHERE Fender Precision Black Label MIM 1995-96
£325

ead

Now sold elsewhere thanks

Well I didn't think that I would be putting this bass on here quite so soon as it was to be my ongoing project and messing around on bass for the foreseeable future.  It turns out that something that I have been GASing about for years has suddenly come up for sale and this is the least worst option in terms of fund-raising.

This is one of those Black Label (black silk screened Fender logo) basses about which there is an amount of info online not all of it correct.  My research tells me the following:

1. The body and neck blanks were indeed made in the US and shipped to the Mexican plant.  BUT so were all MIM basses at the time as the CNC machines were not installed at the Ensenada plant until later on.  The woods were graded in the US and this is most likely to be a grade not suitable for a US bass.  As far as I can tell the body is probably Alder.
  2. I think this is a Tradititional Series bass rather than a Squier Series as I can see no evidence that anything has been removed from the headstock.
  3. I believe the body and neck are the ones originally bolted together in Fenderland. and comes with a "mind the gap" warning :-)
  4. Pickups are high output and the electrics were scratchy, both have been replaced by decent items (see below)
  5. The 3-ply BWB pickguard is not the original item and has been replaced at some point but not by me.  It is labelled Made in Japan on the rear.  Not a 100% perfect fit but no extra holes needed.  I have used brand new screws for it as the originals (included) were a bit manky
  6. Not 100% sure of the colour but I'm going with Torino Red

Other points to note:

• I have given the bass a good clean and lemon oiled the fretboard
  • The body is in good condition, one scratch c.10mm long - photo below
  • The neck is in decent nick with little or no fret wear
  • Tuners OK but not the best in the world.
  • The electrics are now a decent quality set I acquired on here with proper knobs (the original electrics with white Strat knobs included)
  • The pickup is a Tonerider item (the original pickups also included)
  • Strings are pretty new Rotos

I think that is all the pertinent points, I've tried to be as honest as possible but if I have committed any sins of omission or errors please feel free to point them out.

The bass plays pretty nicely and by my scales is a little under 9lbs.  The neck is fine, the truss rod works (as I have set the action to suit my playing preference).  If you want any more info I'll do my best.  Likewise if you would like any more pics, please just ask.

I have hidden the serial number detail in the pic as a short while ago I did find one of my basses for sale but not by me.  It starts MN5....

The bass comes with a pretty worn case with 2 of 3 catches working.  We can discuss delivery/meeting up etc. so you can see what you are getting.  If the bass needs ultimately to be couriered that would be at cost.

Edited by ead