Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

46 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

A bold move that, Quilly - well done 👏

Thanks , I replaced the pickup a couple of years ago as I felt the stock one sounded a bit flat.  Although it sounded great it didn't sit perfectly well with the preamp and It was very noisy at low volumes. When I measured the resistance of the pickup it was twice that of the stock Sandberg one ! . I wasn't really using the active circuitry at all and I found myself preferring the sound of my Fender Precision bass (but the Sandberg is a nicer bass to play).  It was bugging me for a while until I eventually snapped and pulled out the old soldering iron ! Couldn't be happier now. 

I do have an active Sandberg Basic and I think the electronics and PUP work really well on that bass.  

What i find strange here is that the body colour under the pickguard is different from the visible bodywork. How is that even done. Surely they don't spray it with the guard on.

Otherwise i'm loving this project and i'm now wondering if it would be worthwhile buying a VT4 just to do a similar job. I love playing Sandberg basses.

I like the Godin idea with the 4 position switch and PJ set up.

Don't know if you can get a passive humbucker at bridge position that has split coil option as that would give more variety.

Dave

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

What i find strange here is that the body colour under the pickguard is different from the visible bodywork. How is that even done. Surely they don't spray it with the guard on.

Natural discolouration from daylight; the finish under the guard never sees the light of day.  The extreme of this used to be when smoking was allowed in venues.  Your bass would have a yellowish tinge in no time regardless of finish or colour... and your case stank of it.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Natural discolouration from daylight; the finish under the guard never sees the light of day.  The extreme of this used to be when smoking was allowed in venues.  Your bass would have a yellowish tinge in no time regardless of finish or colour... and your case stank of it.   

I'm amazed at the natural colouring being quite as extreme as that. 

14 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Are the Electra models as good build quality as the California series. Just wondered if a VS4 might be a cheap way to go with making pick up mods.

Dave

I had one and whilst I haven't owned Cali, I have played a few and it's not quite the same quality, but really not far off. For around £400 they are probably one of the best P or J basses for raw materials. Add in that the are already routed for active electronics they should provide a good platform.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Otherwise i'm loving this project and i'm now wondering if it would be worthwhile buying a VT4 just to do a similar job. I love playing Sandberg basses.

I like the Godin idea with the 4 position switch and PJ set up.

Don't know if you can get a passive humbucker at bridge position that has split coil option as that would give more variety.

Dave

Are you talking about my bass? Yeah I think the colour just changed over time due to UV sun exposure, what’s under the pickguard is the original colour .

Edited by Quilly
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quilly said:

Are you talking about my bass? Yeah I think the colour just changed over time due to UV sun exposure, what’s under the pickguard is the original colour .

Yes your bass it just surprised me how much the colour had changed. I honestly wouldn't have expected it.

Like what you've done with it. Its definitely got me thinking.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yes your bass it just surprised me how much the colour had changed. I honestly wouldn't have expected it.

Like what you've done with it. Its definitely got me thinking.

Dave

Yeah I wouldn’t buy a p style bass again with an active preamp. I don’t miss any “power” with the current set up and it definitely has more of that classic bark. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Are the Electra models as good build quality as the California series. Just wondered if a VS4 might be a cheap way to go with making pick up mods.

Dave

The vs models are nearly the most expensive California model…don’t ask me why . I wouldn’t have done this to a new VS but I’ve had that one over 10 years 

• Like 1

On 11/04/2024 at 18:53, chris_b said:

Has anyone put flats on their Sandberg?

If so, which flats did you use.

TI flats on my Sandberg Basic, they’re perfect for me and the same set’s been on there for several years now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was reading something on line recently about Trevor Bolder and it mentioned he had used Seymour Duncan pick ups for the last 25 yrs. It also mentioned they were even fitted to his custom Sandberg bass.

Anyone know anything about it ?

I've searched Sandberg website and don't see any mention of it and can't find any pics on line anywhere.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

6 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I was reading something on line recently about Trevor Bolder and it mentioned he had used Seymour Duncan pick ups for the last 25 yrs. It also mentioned they were even fitted to his custom Sandberg bass.

Anyone know anything about it ?

I've searched Sandberg website and don't see any mention of it and can't find any pics on line anywhere.

Dave

Wouldn’t be beyond comprehension the old TSBS bass had SD pick ups from the factory

8 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Wouldn’t be beyond comprehension the old TSBS bass had SD pick ups from the factory

I did come across a pic of Trevor with a jazz style bass and now wondering if that was it. I'll have another look and zoom in for the 4 dots on the plate. 

Cheers for that Cuzzie.

Dave

On 11/04/2024 at 19:53, chris_b said:

Has anyone put flats on their Sandberg?

If so, which flats did you use.

I just put a set of LaBella Deep Talkin stainless steel flats on my Lionel. I chose the lighter gauge with slightly lower tension, 043-104. Obviously they're still very new and bright, but time will tell! I haven't played flatwounds before but it just suits the Lionel so well. It had Pyramid flatwounds when I got it, but it was a very unbalanced set with an incredibly boomy E-string that would clip my amp when all the other strings sounded fine. 

• Like 1

Hello!

I'm struggling to choose between California TT5 active and TT5 Superlight. 

TT5 has Sandberg's own alnico 5 pickups, and TT5 SL has Black Labels. I have no change to test them because I live in another country. I played standard active TT5 with black labels some time ago, and I liked it. Will the superlight sound roughly the same, or does paulownia body have significant difference for sound of the bass? 

I'm looking for a good all around J-bass. Wich one of those two basses you would choose for this purposes and why?

Thanks in advance!

27 minutes ago, VilleT said:

Hello!

TT5 has Sandberg's own alnico 5 pickups, and TT5 SL has Black Labels. I have no change to test them because I live in another country. I played standard active TT5 with black labels some time ago, and I liked it. Will the superlight sound roughly the same, or does paulownia body have significant difference for sound of the bass? 

I'm looking for a good all around J-bass. Wich one of those two basses you would choose for this purposes and why?

Thanks in advance!

The Superlights do sound a little different - snappier, faster response, more controlled low end. The differences aren't big. Nothing that the EQ cannot change.

As for the pickups - I change almost all of mine anyway. Any J style gets EMGs, PJ get EMG PJX, and P stays passive with an Aguilar.

I have the original EMG J set in my Superlight, with an EMG EQ system as well. I love it.

38 minutes ago, VilleT said:

Hello!

Thanks in advance!

I've not tried the heavier version but I have a TM4 superlight, and I'm told it is brighter, and that's why it has different pickups. As said here you can easily change the tone. I have Fender 90-50 flats on mine to provide a more vintage tone.

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

The Superlights do sound a little different - snappier, faster response, more controlled low end. The differences aren't big. Nothing that the EQ cannot change.

Thanks! I just found that there is also TT5 superlight with Haussel pickups available, does anyone have experience about them? I have heard that they should be more vintage style pickups. 

Sold my Ampeg cab today and the fella came to try it out equipped with a Sandberg California II VS4 I believe it was and it sounded incredible. Never seen or heard one in person before and now I'm currently trying to find one to order, had a play on the one today and i'm completely sold!

• Like 7

On 11/06/2024 at 15:00, fretmeister said:

As for the pickups - I change almost all of mine anyway. Any J style gets EMGs, PJ get EMG PJX, and P stays passive with an Aguilar.

I have the original EMG J set in my Superlight, with an EMG EQ system as well. I love it.

I’m thinking of switching to sone EMG pick ups on my ELECTRA II TT4. 
What would you suggest/any advice on what to get as they have so many sets on EMG website.

On 16/06/2024 at 14:25, Rollin Thunder said:

I’m thinking of switching to sone EMG pick ups on my ELECTRA II TT4. 
What would you suggest/any advice on what to get as they have so many sets on EMG website.

Either the original J set, or the J-X set I reckon. The original were designed to sound like 1960s jazz pickups without the hum. The X series have higher headroom if you need that.

After reading carefully the lasts messages I want to add my own opinion an experience about strings and pick ups.

About using flatwounds on your Sandberg: it's up to you, what works for me doesn't necessarily means that work for everyone. You have to try it. 

In my opinion the best match for a flatwound is a pbass (or vs in sandberg) for me is the configuration where fits better. I used Labella in my Enigma 5 and even when I feel comfortable and liked the sound I always felt a lack of....something, so I returned to rounds again.

At the moment I have never found a flatwound in 5 string version that I like for a long time.

In 4 strings my choice is very easy, Thomastik.

About changing pick ups, I'm not a very big fan of changing anything on my bass. Sometimes I have had the idea of adding a passive tone to my sandberg (Holger please do it!!!) but I refuse, I like my basses with their pros and cons.

If I have to change some pick ups looking for a vintage tone I have 3 options in no specific order: Lollar, Lindy Fralin and Kloppmann.

Edited by juanbcn83
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I’d post the latest acquisition as not everyone peruses the short scale thread. This is a soft aged Lionel in gold that supplements my white aged version. I’d originally ordered a shell pink active one that was awesome but it unfortunately had a cosmetic defect and had to be returned, the gold one was taken in exchange.

The shorties collection has now been reduced to these 2 and they are a good fit, sound, weight and playability wise for the current gig activities. Done spending now (hopefully)….IMG_1562.thumb.jpeg.230c33b36ebd71275da9ca1a5be7359f.jpegIMG_1530.thumb.jpeg.fa1be4c3e21d53ab87a62e09df1e56d6.jpeg

• Like 8