Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

On 02/09/2024 at 11:39, LeftyJ said:

Yesterday, during one of my regular Reverb trawls, I stumbled upon a brand new lefty Sandberg Lionel at Musik Produktiv in Germany for a whopping €2300. That's almost a full €1000 more than my Lionel cost new in 2023! Now, there are some differences:

• Mine has a matte finish over ash, the one on offer has a gloss finish (not aged) over alder - Sandberg ONLY offers the matte finishes on ash, and the gloss finishes on alder;
  • Mine has a plain maple headstock, the one on offer matches the body finish;
  • Mine has a pau ferro fingerboard, the one on offer has maple.

Both have abalone inlays and black hardware. 

When I ran it through the configurator, it matched the price of the one offered by Musik Produktiv. I then ran mine through the configurator, and it now costs €1715 instead of the €1400 the previous owner bought it for in 2023. Wow! 

Is the gloss finish really THAT much more elaborate to apply that it justifies a €600-700 difference in price? 

That one is Soft Aged (the SA in the product code) hence the extra cost. You can see the aging clearly in the gallery pictures. 

58 minutes ago, bremen said:

Tongue-hanging-out emoticon.

This, or a Shuker?

I'm new to Sandbergs. What's this Elektra range? Is it their Squier?

It is indeed. Assembled in the east but not much different to full fat.  EDIT In my opinion of course…

Edited by Mickeyboro

1 hour ago, bremen said:

Tongue-hanging-out emoticon.

This, or a Shuker?

I'm new to Sandbergs. What's this Elektra range? Is it their Squier?

I guess.

I believe the bodies/necks are produced in the far east and then put together in Germany with German hardware.

To be honest, as the price of the Electra has risen I’d be inclined to get a used German bass as they are very reasonable prices second hand.

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

Ah……it’s on the Sandberg website

‘The Electra Bass Serieshandselected components by chinese manufactures, assembled and designed by sandberg guitars in germany’

I have even owned one! We got there in the end. 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pineweasel said:

That one is Soft Aged (the SA in the product code) hence the extra cost. You can see the aging clearly in the gallery pictures. 

I hadn't seen it at first, but now that you mention it I do see some small chips here and there. Because the description doesn't mention any ageing I thought it was a regular high gloss finish. Makes sense now!