Why become a member? ×

Pedal Suggestions

xgsjx

I've been looking at different pedals for a while now, but don't know where to start.

I'm trying to build a sound up that I like & was looking at synth & compressor pedals but so far all the synth sounds are not what I'm looking for.
I don't want distorted or squelchy sounds, although I may add a fuzz of some sort but looking for a more mellow kind of sound (think "Your Song" by Groove Armada) that I could then liven up with a fuzz.

I looked at the EH Bass micro synth, the MoogerFooger Bass Murf, the Digitech synth wah & loads of other filter pedals but what I've found so far is either distortion, Squelch or envelope wah or a mix of any of these.

Anybody any ideas on how to get a more mellowish sounding synth like tone from my bass? Would getting 2 octavers & putting something between em have desired effect? So far all I've really used is a Zoom 708 pedal, which has some ok sounds but nothing what I'm looking for.

G

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='336302' date='Nov 25 2008, 03:11 PM']This is always been a contentious issue for me. I have tried several pedals on and off but, to date, I have never found one that makes the bass sound better than a bass straight through an amp. Different, yes, but not better.[/quote]
reckon you should be posting in this section then?? no matter what bass you have, it wont sound synthy whatsoever without an effects processor modulating the sound :)

i think some of those pedals combined with a wet dry blender could really help your cause, as then you'l get a load of clean bass through with a dash of synthy goodness :huh: have you any sound samples/links of the kinda sound you want??

[quote name='xgsjx' post='336285' date='Nov 25 2008, 02:51 PM']looking for a more mellow kind of sound (think "Your Song" by Groove Armada) that I could then liven up with a fuzz.[/quote]

Have you tried the Boss OC-2? If you solo the -1 Oct it does that warm hummy bass synth noise very well.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='336302' date='Nov 25 2008, 03:11 PM']I have tried several pedals on and off but, to date, I have never found one that makes the bass sound better than a bass straight through an amp. Different, yes, but not better.[/quote]

"Different" is what we're going for, not better.

Edited by thisnameistaken

Here's a snippet of Your Song, it's similar to the sound I have in mind. Almost sine wave sounding but not quite. Is a low pass filter what I would need?

[attachment=16385:GA_Your_Song.mp3]

I tried a Boss octaver pedal a few weeks back & wasn't impressed with it as the lower notes just sounded like a slightly stretched elastic band. I will try my guitarists one & try popping it back thru another octaver to see what effect that has.

I do like the sound of my bass but a couple of our songs are very DnB or Electro inspired & would suit a good dubby synth sound. If I can't do it with pedals I'll buy a synth but I prefer playing the stringy thingy.