Why become a member? ×

Ampeg BXT410HLF4 Replacement Speakers

Hey Low-enders!

Got an awesome Ampeg BXT410HLF, sounds magnificent however the voice coil has gone in one of the speakers.

Current speaker model is Eminence 86-531-04, rated 150 WATT 4 OHMS.

The Eminence 86-531-04 is discontinued stock but I'm sure I can purchase a replacement from overseas and at a pretty penny.

I've been contemplating replacing one, two or all of the cabinets speakers with the Eminence Legend BP102, 200WATT 4 OHMS. These speakers have a greater frequency response however am I going to run into problems with the slightly higher wattage rating of the Legend compared with the 86-531-04?...

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated... (providing I haven't opened a “ Dr Google ” type discussion resulting in an infinite dispute of what is and isn't correct).

Thanks again and... “PARTY ON!!!” - “Excellent!!!”

Thank you for the advice, Bill. 

I don't have immediate access to speaker modeling software so I think it may just be easier to fork out the pony for a replacement 86-531-04 speaker.

However, I fear there is a good chance that the other speakers in the BXT410HLF 4 will give up the ghost shortly. I mean the cab is quite retro and I am not the first owner...

Cost of replacement 86-531-04 is roughly £170 delivered so multiply that by four and you got the cost of a brand new Ampeg cab...

My, my, the things we do for Bass!!

Whilst I'm on the subject of investing in new cabinets...

Do any of you lovely Low-enders have recommendations for an awesome pair of cabinet models to biamp through a Ampeg SVT5 Pro?...

I'm thinking two 4x10's or two 6x10's unless someone cares to intervene.

Maybe run one cab low frequency and the other high...

Looking for good mids and great low end.

Thanks again.  “Excellent!!"

I had Eminence Betas put in a couple of Ashdown 210 cabs, by Ashdown, and I found them to be very nice indeed.

Re 610s, well I`ll take the opportunity to shamelessly plug the Ashdown RM610 that I`m selling, and I`m pretty sure Ashdown also have one of these as B-Stock, unless they`ve sold it, so you could get two pretty decent cabs that would be big enough for any gig with change from £800. Which is nice.