Why become a member? ×

Re-staining a bass

spectoremg

Hi they are factory sprayed. The answer is yes you could but you would have to completely take everything off the body and strip it back to bare wood and start again Its a lot of work. it looks really good to me as it is   I’m a carpenter and polisher  and done one as a project in my joinery shop 

EB1C4C29-9C3C-4CB4-8E21-3DE7A59A4847.jpeg

4DAADF1B-F4E7-40CC-B3F5-6808ECF7E93B.jpeg

It it's all solid wood (unlikely) then yes - as @Reggaebass says, it's a case of stripping and sanding down to clean wood.

If the figuring is a veneer, then yes with some disclaimers...the veneer will only be 0.6mm thick so it is very easy to break through when stripping

If the figuring is a photo application, then no - well, technically you could still go down to bare wood and stain that but all of the figuring will be sanded away.

Before striping it's good to take a good, close look at the bass. If you're looking at a cheaper bass, such as the Spector Bass Legend...
132625-tmp656B.jpg?w=700&h=700&fit=fill&

... Take a look at the edges. See how they're dark? This is to cover the fact that the front is only veneer. The black covers the join to the cheap boring wood.
I'm not a Spector expert, so I don't know which bass yours is, but you need to be sure the figured maple look you have is really wood. It would be a shame to strip it and find it was a very interesting and clever paint finish.

As above... stripping is always a gamble. You won't know what you have, 'til you've wrecked stripped it.

Isn't the bass in the OP "double stained" that is the first application of stain is allowed to penetrate deep into the wood and then the top is partially sanded back to remove the stain from the less porous areas. Then the whole body is retained again which gives a higher contrast effect on the grain.

If so depending on what sort of finish the OP is intending to apply it might involve either a lot of sanding to remove the first deep stain or very careful sanding to only take off the second stain.

• Like 3

Looking at the pictures and potential weasel words in the specs, I'm pretty sure that the Legend has a veneered top but it looks like the Euro models are indeed solid tops.  @spectoremg - is there a thin demarcation strip visible between the back wood and the top?  If so then it is probably a solid top.  You can usually check by taking the pickups out or neck off and having a look in the chambers/pocket for the two woods.

If it is a solid top, then yes - it is definitely possible to strip down to the wood, re-stain and refinish.  Depending on the finish on it at the moment, it could be hard work, though...

14 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Looking at the pictures and potential weasel words in the specs, I'm pretty sure that the Legend has a veneered top but it looks like the Euro models are indeed solid tops.  @spectoremg - is there a thin demarcation strip visible between the back wood and the top?  If so then it is probably a solid top.  You can usually check by taking the pickups out or neck off and having a look in the chambers/pocket for the two woods.

If it is a solid top, then yes - it is definitely possible to strip down to the wood, re-stain and refinish.  Depending on the finish on it at the moment, it could be hard work, though...

Thanks Andy. The body is indeed a sandwich. TBH I wasn't looking at the major work in the replies so I'll just leave it alone. 

Thanks for the replies guys. 

• Like 1