Why become a member? ×

Revenue From CD Sales

Bluewine

Do you mean the profit from physical sales? Or revenue from royalties?

Either way ours all goes into the pot with gig money. We can afford studio time, loads of merch in stock, a few charity gigs, and we still get to take a small bit of money after every gig - the boss manages it all

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cheddatom said:

Do you mean the profit from physical sales? Or revenue from royalties?

Either way ours all goes into the pot with gig money. We can afford studio time, loads of merch in stock, a few charity gigs, and we still get to take a small bit of money after every gig - the boss manages it all

Physical sales.

I would think for most it would go into a band fund account.

Blue

6 minutes ago, ambient said:

CDs, you’re so 20th century 😊

Ha, ha! I understand where you're coming from but for a lot of us, at the gigs we play at, in the bands we play in; people ask "have you got any CDs?" With real money in their hands!

I think the obsession with wanting to have a physical product to store music on is a very 20th century phenomenon. In the history of music it will probably be a weird consumerist blip. Anyway, that's a different topic. I've got a house full of every medium since shellac 78s so I speak as an addict. 😉

Back on topic - we pool the revenue and finance further recordings. 

8 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

Ha, ha! I understand where you're coming from but for a lot of us, at the gigs we play at, in the bands we play in; people ask "have you got any CDs?" With real money in their hands!

I think the obsession with wanting to have a physical product to store music on is a very 20th century phenomenon. In the history of music it will probably be a weird consumerist blip. Anyway, that's a different topic. I've got a house full of every medium since shellac 78s so I speak as an addict. 😉

Ha, this was my last release. 

😁

DE08C2EB-F6BC-4895-A5C3-45DB901F93C6.jpeg

Edited by ambient

All our earnings go back into the band, that way we can afford studio time, hotels, flights, more merch etc. The only things we individually pay up for now are strings/sticks etc, plus fuel costs of getting to gigs and food/drink consumed at said gigs, everything else is now met by the bands earnings. We`ve even gone legit, keeping proper accounts etc now. All PRS payments also go back into the band, and all the songs are written by all of us anyway so we`re equal partners. If any of us left the band we wouldn`t replace them, we`d fold the band so whatever was leftover would be split.

On 01/08/2018 at 11:58, Len_derby said:

Yeah, all of our CDs are sold at gigs 

People still buy CDs, especially the 60 plus crowd.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

all merch sales go into the band pot, we did have a couple of members leave and we told them they'd get their share of any sales of the CD they played on, after a couple of (minor) payouts they told us not to bother anymore as we were selling them on the strength of the gigs with the new line up.

Does help when you stay on amicable terms with ex members 😊

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1