Why become a member? ×

Basses without strings?

mic mac moe

It's really lazy and demonstrates to me that the owner doesn't really care about the instrument. unless of course they can give a decent reason as to why it doesn't have strings on. (A broken truss rod for example might be a good enough reason.)

I would expect to receive a serious discount in lieu of not being able to prove that the instrument is fit for purpose.. not that I'd touch it with a bargepole anyway!

4 hours ago, dood said:

It's really lazy and demonstrates to me that the owner doesn't really care about the instrument. unless of course they can give a decent reason as to why it doesn't have strings on. (A broken truss rod for example might be a good enough reason.)

I would expect to receive a serious discount in lieu of not being able to prove that the instrument is fit for purpose.. not that I'd touch it with a bargepole anyway!

This.

• Like 1

Generally these basses are low end, uncared for, items which have sat in the loft/garage/cupboard for years unloved and were previously owned by another family member (my Uncle John, who supported the Beatles in 1972).

The seller is the opportunist who wants to make some space, a few quick bucks, and knows nothing about the instrument other what they think they can read on the headstock or on the internet. They may genuinely think the instrument is a real 60s Fender but more often than not, it isn't. Many, knowing it isn't the real thing, still think that they can convince the undiscerning into believing it is. 

You may get a result or badly burnt.

What is scarier is when the seller is selling a bess with 2 or 3 strings, claims to have bought an upgraded bass, stating how well this served them but that the bass "may need tuning" - no problem for me, I get an expert in.

Edited by TheGreek

Sometimes they are worth the gamble - I recently picked up a rare Hohner B2AV for somewhere between 1/4 and 1/5 of it's value with no strings. £50 and around an hours work and it's virtually faultless. 

Edited by BreadBin