Why become a member? ×

Bassman 800 vs OB-1 500 with Darkglass 210 - what watt DISTORTION

SupernovaJunky

Hey guys,

I'm a guitarist now playing distorted bass. I just bought a darkglass 210 which is rated 500w at 8ohm, my current amp is 250w at 8ohm (500w at 4ohm) and want to ask what if I bought a Fender Bassman 800- becuase I just downloaded the manual and it says for this amp it's 500w at 8ohm (800w at 4ohm). Firstly would this work? To me it sounds right- 500 output into a 500 watt speaker, or do you want one to be higher, like the speaker higher- for safety? And if it does work/good fit- what would the sonic difference be?would I get more power, more bottom end? Is there advantages to having the extra headroom, if you're at half volume. Similarly- is there an advantage to having my current setup and driving it harder, because remember I'm doing distorted bass. Also relevant. Hope you can help. Peace.

Well it should all be fine, a 500 watt head into a 500 watt cab, plus you`re also leaving the option open to adding another of the 210s later on if you feel you need it. As the power from the amp is equal to that of the cab in theory you should keep an ear open for it struggling if you have a lot of low end in your sound but in all honesty if you use all of those 500 watts your ears will shut down long before the cab. Having a more powerful amp won`t necessarily mean more lows, in fact if you want a bigger sound I`d keep the current amp (provided you like the sound of it of course) and get another identical 210 - more speakers = bigger sound, which in turn sounds like there`s more low end. Doubling up on the number of speakers is one of those moments that is just grin-inducing.

nah distortion channel on max. for reasons of adding another 210 like lozz said i actually bought the bassman 500. so my darkglass runs 350w on it's own but if you add another speaker they run at 500w. it was all a little confusing. 350w is loud, it sounds big. think if i do a bigger venue ive got the option of adding another. i tried it in the studio the other day i have a picture :)

IMG_1274[1].JPG