Why become a member? ×

Overwater Contemp J4 Pick ups ?

dmccombe7

Anyone on here ever changed out the pick ups on their Overwater Contemporary J4.

Mine isn't the Tanglewod version but was put together by the Overwater guys from parts prior to the deal with Tanglewood. Doesn't even have a serial number.

I believe the pick-ups and pre-amp to be same as Tanglewood one tho.

I like the bass, its really quite nice to play but the pick-ups sound nasal and lacking depth if that's the right description. Hard to describe even with new strings its always lacked something. Like a MM without the guts and depth even turning the bass up it just becomes boomy but not sharp and clear like a MM.

Was wondering if anyone has replaced them and/or the pre-amp to what and what difference did it make to the sound. ?

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

Dave

Go passive and use Alan Entwhistle pickups would be my 1st option at reasonable cost, a set of new pots and socket and fresh wiring, but you could use them with the existing active set up and trim accordingly on the circuit board the pickups are individually adjustable if it's the same as the Tanglewaters

I have a Tanglewater and the neck J pickup had uneven output, quiet D string, I put an Entwhistle in instead

Edited by Aidan63
spelling
  • Thanks 1

On 27/09/2018 at 11:13, Aidan63 said:

Go passive and use Alan Entwhistle pickups would be my 1st option at reasonable cost, a set of new pots and socket and fresh wiring, but you could use them with the existing active set up and trim accordingly on the circuit board the pickups are individually adjustable if it's the same as the Tanglewaters

I have a Tanglewater and the neck J pickup had uneven output, quiet D string, I put an Entwhistle in instead

Did the Entwhistle fit straight in to the Overwater space without any body mods. ?

Dave

Had a look at the bass you're talking about which has the J pick up to the neck side and the humbucker style at the bridge.

My J4 has twin humbuckers so the J picks ups wouldn't work for me. Checked out the Entwhistle pick ups and he only does J and P styles at the moment for bass.

Will keep looking tho.

Thanks for getting back to me. Much appreciated. Liking the passive idea too.

Dave