Why become a member? ×

Interested?

Bluewine

While I'm lucky enough to be working I still check out opportunities from time to time. 

Things are not great for real opportunities here. This type of ad is not uncommon.

Would any of you experienced guys over the age of 60 respond to this type of ad? I wouldn't. I'm not looking for a party.

"Covers, Good originals, A tribute some over nights weekends. I need some one who can front some covers learn quick or know the standards 60's to today. Find harmony note. Hustling shows, having a few fans, basic positive vibe. Bring something good to the party. Fairy serious actually"

Blue

48 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Oh, come now, Blue; surely you're not that dumb..? 9_9

evW48ZO.jpg

I'm probably dumb about certain things. But I'm not dumb when it comes to spotting a poorly worded ad for a bass player.

I think you can have a few beers, have a few drinks. But having a few fans?

"We want to develop a fan base" would have made more sense to me.

And, " bring something to the party"? What party? I'm not looking for a party.

And is the band fairy serious or fairly serious?

I'm thinking English might be a second language for whoever submitted the ad. To me it doesn't make much sense.

The ad basically hits me as; " Do you want to waste your time, give us a call"

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Bringing something to the party is a figure of speech - I don't think it's meant to be taken so literally. 

True, probably a very young band.

I always feel, for bar bands it's part of our job to provide a party vibe and atmosphere. Maybe whoever wrote the ad meant the same thing.

The ad still seems questionable.

Blue

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Why so? Bringing something to the party is a very old expression. I use it, my grandparents used it. It is 'normal english' 

It's not an ad I'd respond to. If a person is looking for a party it's fine.

A party is not anything I'm looking for in a band.

Blue

11 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

It's not an ad I'd respond to. If a person is looking for a party it's fine.

A party is not anything I'm looking for in a band.

Yeh, I get that and I am not arguing with you about whether you should apply for the gig, I am just saying the expression 'to bring something to the party' has got nothing to do with any actual party.

The expression "What can you bring to the party" is exactly the same as "How can you help us in this situation". I would say maybe it is an englishism, rather than an americanism, but I am pretty sure it was common when I lived in SF as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Yeh, I get that and I am not arguing with you about whether you should apply for the gig, I am just saying the expression 'to bring something to the party' has got nothing to do with any actual party.

The expression "What can you bring to the party" is exactly the same as "How can you help us in this situation". I would say maybe it is an englishism, rather than an americanism, but I am pretty sure it was common when I lived in SF as well.

Yeah, I guess I've never heard the expression in that context.

Plus I'm very critical when it comes to bass player wanted ads. I prefer ads that are more than clear and very direct in terms of what they're looking for and what they're offering.

Blue