Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

I actually wanted the Ripcord. But it was out of stock for the Stomp version, so I started looking at other solutions.  

The way I came up with was a bit more flexible (I can take the USB power supply off the board to recharge other USB devices) and it lasts for ages. I can do like 8 hours with no recharge. And I didn’t want to pay for the expensive name brand power supplies for my very modest needs. 

19 hours ago, funkle said:

I actually wanted the Ripcord. But it was out of stock for the Stomp version, so I started looking at other solutions.  

The way I came up with was a bit more flexible (I can take the USB power supply off the board to recharge other USB devices) and it lasts for ages. I can do like 8 hours with no recharge. And I didn’t want to pay for the expensive name brand power supplies for my very modest needs. 

What capacity is the power bank in order to give you 8 hours? I'm tempted to try it out for my multi effects.

• 2 weeks later...

Just done the latest firmware update and one thing is starting to annoy me about the Helix.

Each update resets a lot of things to their factory defaults.

Once agin I have had to reassign the following:

1. Volume control to affect the XLR output only.

2. Sample rate to 44.1 kHz.

3. Expression 1 Pedal position to be global.

4. Footswitch assignments to be 4 Presets on the top row and 4 Snapshots on the bottom row

5. Tuner display to Strobe.

6. Re-instate my Global EQ settings. After I lost these the first time I made sure to write them down as they are less easily remembered than the others.

Luckily my preferences coincide with the defaults some of the other important global settings like MIDI and clock/tempo assignments.

I would have thought by now that there would be some way to save all of these so they would be restored to the user settings following a firmware upgrade but either there isn't or I have something that would allow this disabled, although if that is the case, I can't see it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Just done the latest firmware update and one thing is starting to annoy me about the Helix.

4. Footswitch assignments to be 4 Presets on the top row and 4 Snapshots on the bottom row

6. Re-instate my Global EQ settings. After I lost these the first time I made sure to write them down as they are less easily remembered than the others.

Luckily my preferences coincide with the defaults some of the other important global settings like MIDI and clock/tempo assignments.

I would have thought by now that there would be some way to save all of these so they would be restored to the user settings following a firmware upgrade but either there isn't or I have something that would allow this disabled, although if that is the case, I can't see it.

Time to get a £50 used Zoom B1-4?  😂

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Another weird one.

Am I missing something really obvious or is it not possible to assign a "switch" control to a Snapshot in HX Edit?

For any continuous controller I right click to the right of the value and the list of assignments pops up to allow me to select "Snapshot". When I do the same to a switch nothing happens. However pressing and holding the appropriate parameter control on the Helix itself allows access to this function. Then when I load up HX Edit the parameter has the Snapshot camera icon to the left of it.

Any idea why I can't make this assignment in the HX Edit app?

The parameters I'm trying to change are in the Obsidian 7000 model and want to be able to control the positions of the Grunt and Attack switches using snapshots.

• 2 months later...
On 20/06/2024 at 17:01, BigRedX said:

When you start the update process, you're asked to make a backup and save it on your computer. After the update, you are asked to reload that backup, which should re-import all your old settings for you. Are you possibly skipping that step?

Edited by Naigewron

44 minutes ago, Naigewron said:

When you start the update process, you're asked to make a backup and save it on your computer. After the update, you are asked to reload that backup, which should re-import all your old settings for you. Are you possibly skipping that step?

Sometime I do, sometimes I don't. I don't recall either re-instating the Global Preferences. I'll definitely do a reload next time and report back.

The problem with re-importing your settings is that it adds another complete rebuild of all the presets, and sometime the Helix does it again after the next power-up following a firmware update, which is the last thing anyone wants at a rehearsal or even worse a gig. My current practice is that if there is nothing wrong with my Presets after a firmware update, I'll not bother reloading them.

After I posted I did some additional reading and it seems to be related to the fact that after many firmware updates additional Global Setting options are added so the old settings can't be used. 

On 07/07/2024 at 12:31, BigRedX said:

Another weird one.

Am I missing something really obvious or is it not possible to assign a "switch" control to a Snapshot in HX Edit?

For any continuous controller I right click to the right of the value and the list of assignments pops up to allow me to select "Snapshot". When I do the same to a switch nothing happens. However pressing and holding the appropriate parameter control on the Helix itself allows access to this function. Then when I load up HX Edit the parameter has the Snapshot camera icon to the left of it.

Any idea why I can't make this assignment in the HX Edit app?

The parameters I'm trying to change are in the Obsidian 7000 model and want to be able to control the positions of the Grunt and Attack switches using snapshots.

This problem is now sorted. There is a smaller target area for switches compared with sliders to bring up the contextual menu for Snapshots in HX Edit. I just wasn't clicking in quite the right place.

Just now, BigRedX said:

The problem with re-importing your settings is that it adds another complete rebuild of all the presets, and sometime the Helix does it again after the next power-up following a firmware update, which is the last thing anyone wants at a rehearsal or even worse a gig

Doing a firmware update right before a gig is a risky strategy regardless, in my book.

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

After I posted I did some additional reading and it seems to be related to the fact that after many firmware updates additional Global Setting options are added so the old settings can't be used. 

Might be. I've never had to redo any global settings, and I've been following all updates since about 2.40 now. But some of them have been on the HX Stomp, some on the HX Effects and some on the Helix Floor, since I've gone through phases of owning different units.

Just now, Naigewron said:

Doing a firmware update right before a gig is a risky strategy regardless, in my book.

You are quite right. I haven't yet, but I did have this happen once at rehearsal which was somewhat embarrassing. Since then I won't do a firmware update unless I know I'm going to using the Helix at home 2 or 3 times before practice or a gig.

3 minutes ago, Naigewron said:

Might be. I've never had to redo any global settings, and I've been following all updates since about 2.40 now. But some of them have been on the HX Stomp, some on the HX Effects and some on the Helix Floor, since I've gone through phases of owning different units.

I suppose it depends if you need to change any of them from the factory defaults. I used my Helix for about a year before I found the need to, and that's when I started noticing that Global Settings didn't seem to be saved after an update.

Since I'm new to the thread, here's my rig these days. No amp, although I'll use one if it's provided, because stage volume is always fun (I have a split to an FX send before any amp/cab blocks in the Helix).

Two gigbags and I'm all set, no more fridges to load and unload, and that includes my wireless setup, in-ear rig, spare DI, and any backups and tools I might need.

Undressed:

2024-04-3017_54_16.thumb.jpg.6694f7564d8f37ea4811839ca4379ab7.jpg

Dressed:

2024-04-3017_53_49.thumb.jpg.5a62ab11c35a7c445f16c687885ca953.jpg

Edited by Naigewron
  • Like 5

I've just realised that I haven't posted my setup in this thread, so here it is:

IMG-0459.jpg

I've gone wireless since this photo was taken.

The computer which is our drummer and second synth player also takes care of Preset and Snapshot changes on the Helix which leaves me free to concentrate on playing and throwing some shapes on stage, also in some places on a few of the songs the Snapshot changes come every two bars which is too complicated for me to get consistently right when done "manually".

The footswitch on the left controls the playback - centre for start/pause and right for close current song and load the next one in the set list. 

I (and the rest of the band) no longer bother with backline, although I have a powered FRFR cab that I occasionally use for rehearsals, as with the Bass VI I'm playing both "bass" and "guitar" parts and any rig provided is very unlikely to be able the handle both types of sounds. Therefore I go straight into the PA via the EMO DI box. These days we only play venues with a big enough PA to get the programmed drums up to proper drummer volume and they always have monitoring good enough for me to be able to hear what I need.

• Like 4