Why become a member? ×

VAT 15%

markytbass

I work for a small printers and for the past week or so we have been really busy with local companies getting their stationary re printed with the VAT change on it.
For these small companies the 2.5% saving is costing them a fortune.

But, im all for cost savings so well done the government.

[quote name='Rich' post='342955' date='Dec 2 2008, 01:00 PM']Or perhaps I'm spending too much time reading the right-wing nonsense on the BBC's Have Your Say pages :)[/quote]

And not enough time here: [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3K9_mQ9sGBQ"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3K9_mQ9sGBQ[/url]

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='342966' date='Dec 2 2008, 01:07 PM']I work for a small printers and for the past week or so we have been really busy with local companies getting their stationary re printed with the VAT change on it.
For these small companies the 2.5% saving is costing them a fortune.[/quote]
The govt themselves have estimated a cost to business of £175 million, so you can probably at least double that. Wonder how many places "17.5" is hard-coded in all the computer programs and spreadsheets in the UK...

[quote name='tauzero' post='343024' date='Dec 2 2008, 01:59 PM']The govt themselves have estimated a cost to business of £175 million, so you can probably at least double that. Wonder how many places "17.5" is hard-coded in all the computer programs and spreadsheets in the UK...[/quote]

Indeed. looking at all the receipt/invoice pads etc we have printed over the years i would say a hell of a lot.

Another stealth tax announced today.
Although they have cut the vat on petrol to 15% they have put an extra 2p on 'fuel duty' (currently stands at 50.35p per litre). The 15% is then levied on top.
I may be wrong but that doesn't that mean we are still going to be paying more for our petrol?
Lets just say for example that a litre of petrol without vat but with the fuel duty is 75p per litre... add current vat @17.5% and you pay 88.12p per litre.
Now add the 2p fuel duty (77p) then add 15% (vat) and that gives you 88.55p!!! :)

Edited by tombboy

[quote name='tombboy' post='343034' date='Dec 2 2008, 02:12 PM']Another stealth tax announced today.[/quote]

I always laugh at that phrase. If its Stealth why do they announce it?

The figures are there for everyone to see, only the lazy or unaffected wont work it out. and considering it will be all over the news etc i can understand people not bothering to work it out.

Not having a pop at you, just this Media created, over used phrase.

I think we tend to forget that with the current "credit crunch" things are going to get expensive anyway.

Edited by dave_bass5

I contacted www.iMuso.co.uk yesterday to ask if their prices reflected the 15% VAt change and they replied that they did, which I found strange as there has not been a change in price over the past few weeks.

They may just have been miffed about me pointing out that their returns policy which incuded a compulsory 2% restocking fee plus £10 admin fee was inconsistent with the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations.

In respect of companies justifying swallowing the VAT reduction by claiming they're holding off price increases forced by suppliers until they need to re-stock, that's a crock of sh*t. If the price of their next order is going to go up compared to the last one, why are they keeping the VAT reduction for goods they have already got in stock which were not affected by supplier price rises?

It's that kind of penny-pinching across the entire business world which gets us into recession in the first place and will keep us there longer than is necessary.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='343036' date='Dec 2 2008, 02:17 PM']Not having a pop at you, just this Media created, over used phrase.[/quote]
It's not media created, it was created by the Tories a good few years ago. It was first used (IIRC) about some form of tax relief which was being removed from pension contributions, not at the contribution source but somewhere more obscured (and also IIRC it was actually John Major who put that one in place, but set it up to take effect a few years down the line). Then it starrted getting used about more and more things, to the extent that I think a rise in income tax rate would be called a "stealth tax".

[quote name='tauzero' post='343855' date='Dec 3 2008, 10:00 AM']It's not media created, it was created by the Tories a good few years ago. It was first used (IIRC) about some form of tax relief which was being removed from pension contributions, not at the contribution source but somewhere more obscured (and also IIRC it was actually John Major who put that one in place, but set it up to take effect a few years down the line). Then it starrted getting used about more and more things, to the extent that I think a rise in income tax rate would be called a "stealth tax".[/quote]

Ok, i'll rephrase that and just say overused by the media. And "credit crunch"

Just getting sick of hearing it thats all.

Edited by dave_bass5

I saved a tenner on a £400 dell PC for my birthday this year :) Not too bad i guess, but i did expect a lot of w***er shop owners to just increase the net price. They make more money and they keep their nice .99p prices too... Why don't we all vote monster raving loony for a change? They might just end the recession and 99p coin would certainly be handy!