Why become a member? ×

Identifying Fender P Bass MIM Build Date

Slapbass Shaun

should be transparent black or ebony body paint code 039, I have no idea which models were in that colour.

I'd guess M is Mexico

the fender serial number checker should work and tell you what it should be

https://www.fender.com/product-registration/serial-search

my 2003 mim Jazz has no date stamp in the neck pocket just the bar code and numerical label under the pickup and no date stamp on the neck just various inspection initials and part number label

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

my 2003 mim Jazz has no date stamp in the neck pocket just the bar code and numerical label under the pickup and no date stamp on the neck just various inspection initials and part number label

That’s my thought - it’s literally an internal factory movement sticker. From shaping to sanding to sealing to paint to buffing etc - all controlled by barcoding since the late 90’s.

• Like 1

I'm even more confused as the paint code 039 which I think should be transparent black or ebony is clearly on a sunburst or natural Precision body - which I think just goes to show that Fender Mexico make mistakes

there's no way of dating the bodies, as Andy says late 90s on, the only thing that dates them is the serial number which is only on the neck