Why become a member? ×

Recording Studio

tombboy

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='414168' date='Feb 19 2009, 12:55 PM']tombboy has invited me round to christen this over the weekend. I'll let you know how we get on.[/quote]
You have a delivery from Eastern Europe.
Driver wouldn't stop, something to do about immigration but they're very lovely............. ;) Skirts or belts.... you decide!! :P
And how do I keep the wife happy 'til you get here? Shall I get them on the garden or something? Apparently the wife has a bush she needs trimming................

Edited by tombboy

I'll be collecting all the studio equipment from Bolton tomorrow, so today I had Terry.. probably the best joiner I have ever seen, round to install the desks and rack cabinets into the mixing room. The man worked miracles with weird angles to get 19 inches on all rack recesses. I've put a couple of rack units in to show his great work. Didn't use one nail or screw... all glued and rebated.
Just a bit of finishing off to do. Hopefully it will be completed by the time I get back from up north.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='416336' date='Feb 21 2009, 07:44 PM']hang on, you didn't glue the rack units in did you? Do you mean the actual rack space itself was glued in? Looks great though. What are you gonna put in the middle shelves?[/quote]

Ha ha!! No.... The units will be screwed in. Imagine this as a noughts and crosses board and I'll explain.
Bottom left = Applemac
Middle left and right = Mackie active balanced monitors.
Top left, middle & right and bottom right = Various rack units such as PSU's, limiters, expanders, reverbs, samplers, patchbays, modelling amps, digital/analog I/O converters etc. (still need to split the top middle into two cases)
Centre middle = Mac monitor
Centre bottom - Mackie 24.8 desk with meter bridge.

Edited by tombboy

okay. Couple of things though. One is that usually you would have the mixing desk, speakers and pc monitors on the side which faces the live room, with a corner like that used for rackmounted FX, preamps, the computer and stuff like that. The other issue is that usually recording setups have more than one PC monitor, the purpose being that you can have the arrangement on one side and a virtual control surface such as the frontend on your audio interface, midi noteroll, FX windows, stuff like that. Very useful.

I'm just wondering from like curiosity and stuff, how much previous recording experience do you have? You'll definetly have to post soundclips, wave please ;)

Tomboy, silly question this, but you're splitting the Top-Middle section so you can put more rackmounts in yeah?

And you're going to be screwing the lips of the rackmount items into the front facing parts of the vertical parts of the shelving?

Is the wood thick enough to fit 2 lips side by side or are they going to over lap? eg) <-rackUnit1->|wood|<-rackUnit2->, is there enough wood to fit both lips on?

[quote name='Buzz' post='416475' date='Feb 22 2009, 02:20 AM']Tomboy, silly question this, but you're splitting the Top-Middle section so you can put more rackmounts in yeah?

And you're going to be screwing the lips of the rackmount items into the front facing parts of the vertical parts of the shelving?

Is the wood thick enough to fit 2 lips side by side or are they going to over lap? eg) <-rackUnit1->|wood|<-rackUnit2->, is there enough wood to fit both lips on?[/quote]

I thought about that prior to designing the cabinet. The top shelf has an 'inner skin' as seen below. And yes, the units will be screwed straight into the (pre-drilled) wood.
By the way... it's not all wired in yet. Just offered it all up to take the picture.

Edited by tombboy

[quote name='cheddatom' post='418109' date='Feb 24 2009, 08:50 AM']I would stick a couple of monitors and your keyboard and mouse on that desk to the left.[/quote]
Exactly what I have done now. The monitor didn't give enough clearance in the middle shelf. Trouble is, I've have a big hole to fill now. Something impressive looking with flashing lights... doesn't have to function!! ;) Or I could have a couple of lava lamps!!!

[quote name='tombboy' post='418289' date='Feb 24 2009, 12:30 PM']Exactly what I have done now. The monitor didn't give enough clearance in the middle shelf. Trouble is, I've have a big hole to fill now. Something impressive looking with flashing lights... doesn't have to function!! ;) Or I could have a couple of lava lamps!!![/quote]
Yeah that's what i would have suggested. Also, if you're using cubase, i've found that a second monitor can be INCREDIBLY handy. Looking good though, i'm rather envious!

Edited by budget bassist