Why become a member? ×

Which 15" cab with tweeter?

Guest Marcoelwray

Guest Marcoelwray

Hi folks...

I'm no expert in cabs, but I started to play again on my old full valve Klemt Echolette BS40 '69.... 

I've got an BT400 with it, 2x 15" but I must admit that if the head gives a beautiful warm sound, the cab is just a piece of wood with speakers in it... I'm looking for a 15" cab with tweeter with some specs:

- has to be not too expensive, or used... don't want to spend 1000£ in a cab.

- I prefer sober designs... (textile grids, black is good)

- with tweeter or high frequency speaker

- Ideally a 5.3ohms but I'm no fool, a 4ohms will be cool

- weight is not an issue, will stay in studio

- MUST BE a responsive 15", not floppy one...

I will accept any good advices about cabs because I don't really follow what's new and what's good... I'm too much into my wood !

Thanks!

Edited by Marcoelwray

Hi Marco, 5.3 ohms, that's a bit specific. You won't find anything out there at that impedance unless it's home made. You'd only get that with 3x16 ohms speakers in a cab. That won't matter, your amp is valve you say so it'll have a matching transformer. If it was originally built for a 3 way speaker it might be matched to such an odd impedance or it may be set to that so it will work equally well with a 4 or 8 ohm impedance. (it's 33% away from either, and the matching isn't that critical) Do you have other impedances available? that will be marked on the back of your amp. If not then for convenience I'd go for a single 8 ohm cab, with your amp you'll get the same volume out of either and if you ever want to add a second cab another 8ohm cab will work fine.

Guest Marcoelwray

@Phil Starr  I just had an Epifani UL3-310, 5.3ohms, like you said 3 times 16ohms. 

Why does it have to be a 15" ??? Because I don't know much about cabs, that's why I ask for some advices, I didn't say I know nothing about electronic and I owned several cabs.

I just came from Epifani UL3-310, just before that I owned two brand new Aguilar DB112. I do not want 8, 10 , 12 inches cabs. Because you can't get the punch of a 15" in a 10". (I mean the movement of air, not responsiveness). 

And no, like I said it's a Valve head, I won't go for 8ohms because I can select outputs only between 5.3 or 16ohms. With a decent volume, a 4ohms should do the work without blowing the amp.

Guest Marcoelwray
Just now, obbm said:

What about a Bergantino NV115 - they come up on the used market from time to time.

15" + 6" drivers

sealed cab

400-watt handling

8-ohm impedance

Yep that's a nice suggestion, I never owned a Bergantino myself, I know it's good stuff. But could you qualify this cab of really punchy and responsive for a 15? 

40 minutes ago, Marcoelwray said:

Yep that's a nice suggestion, I never owned a Bergantino myself, I know it's good stuff. But could you qualify this cab of really punchy and responsive for a 15? 

I've got one but haven't had a chance to give it a full workout yet.  There are others here who have used them.

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:22, Marcoelwray said:

I can select outputs only between 5.3 or 16ohms. With a decent volume, a 4ohms should do the work without blowing the amp.

If your output has a 5.3 ohm tap then it will be equally happy with either a 4 or an 8 ohm load. Like I said its 1/3 away from both so effectively  5.3ohms exactly in the middle between 4 and 8ohms. Either will work fine.

On 26/12/2018 at 10:29, Marcoelwray said:

Unfortunatley it's 8 ohms... and ugly :D never heard of TKS before...

Do some research man! Even on Basschat you will find lots of information.

TKS are a Swedish company who make (as far as I am aware) only bass cabs. The build quality and sound are excellent and TKS have won many converts over here in the UK as well as mainland Europe.

By the way, I have never heard anyone else refer to TKS's offerings as "ugly" 😲😀 Are you sure you're not judging the quality of my (terrible) photography? 😂

Joking aside - do yourself a favour and try a TKS cab. If you don't like them, fine - but don't discount them!

On a separate note, a sensitive 8 ohm cab may well sound 'louder' with the same amp than a less sensitive 4 (or 5.33) ohm cab. The whole Watts/ohms/loudness thing is pretty complicated...

Meanwhile - my ugly cab offers lightness, tone, volume, sensitivity and responsiveness. But feel free to judge with your eyes 😃

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant didn't it? 😁

• Like 1

Speaker diameter has no bearing on how punchy the sound will be. I’m not saying don’t get a 1x15”, but don’t use speaker diameter as a restriction, it’s like saying the tuners on your bass have to be gold. Have you considered a good 2x12?  They can certainly move some air. 

• Like 1

Guest Marcoelwray
6 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

Speaker diameter has no bearing on how punchy the sound will be. I’m not saying don’t get a 1x15”, but don’t use speaker diameter as a restriction, it’s like saying the tuners on your bass have to be gold. Have you considered a good 2x12?  They can certainly move some air. 

Honestly, I'm no expert like I said but I tried many many cabs. Not all cabs of the world of course. I never found the feeling of a 15 in another size. Maybe it's psychological, but I have the right to be crazy, don't I? ;)

@Conan  easy my friend, I found it ugly in the meaning "not really classy" more raw design... Never said it was not well finished. It's a matter of personal tastes. And segundo, I'm here to have the expertise of people more advised.... And not looking for hours on the internet subjective opinions. So thank you for the infos, much appreciated, I will think about your cab (I can't recall the price, though...). I believe you when you say it's dope quality. Is it warm or dead neutral? (As Glockenklang can be for instance)

I won't go for another size. 1x15. Don't take offense.

Guest Marcoelwray
Just now, Conan said:

By the way, I know what you mean about 15s. I know the science says to ignore the driver diameter, but my ears and experience prefer the sound of cabs with 15s... 🤔

THANKS.

2 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

No offense taken.  At the end of the day, it's what you're happy with.  We'll just chuck some alernatives in there too just in case there's something you've not thought of.

I played through a 15" for years.  Then I went for 2 15"s.  Then I went 4x10, then 2x10 & now 4x10 again (I'm planning on getting something that's more manageable though).

2 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

Thanks! Interesting indeed, I'll read that. They have no 15 if I'm correct...

That’s correct , they don’t make a 15 anymore, try a decent modern 12 or 10 inch cab and see how it compares to your 15.

You may be pleasantly surprised or pleasantly disappointed.

18 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

Honestly, I'm no expert like I said but I tried many many cabs. Not all cabs of the world of course. I never found the feeling of a 15 in another size. Maybe it's psychological, but I have the right to be crazy, don't I? ;)

@Conan  easy my friend, I found it ugly in the meaning "not really classy" more raw design... Never said it was not well finished. It's a matter of personal tastes. And segundo, I'm here to have the expertise of people more advised.... And not looking for hours on the internet subjective opinions. So thank you for the infos, much appreciated, I will think about your cab (I can't recall the price, though...). I believe you when you say it's dope quality. Is it warm or dead neutral? (As Glockenklang can be for instance)

i think 15in cabs is a good all rounder works well in most venues