Why become a member? ×

Warwick Corvette vs Fortress - Neck Profile

King Tut

I have a lovely Bubinga Corvette which is just fab - although I do find the ergonomics a little awkward. I recently picked up a Fortress One which is also fab. It's incredibly comfortable, body wise, with a much toppier sound than the Corvette. Having read about both basses, I was led to believe that the Fortress had a chunkier neck than the Corvette. With this in my subconscious, I've convinced myself that, preferring the skinny neck of my Corvette, I should swap them over to create a Warwick Fortrette - a Fortress with a Corvette neck.

So I got both the basses out, took the strings off the Fortress, had a quick look at the screw patterns of both basses and prepared for surgery. Just before I changed them over, I thought I'd measure both necks - and guess what . . . . . ? They both seem to measure exactly the same width at the nut and the heel. Measuring depth is awkward, but they appear to be the same.

So I've made my decision on how each neck feels by a preconception brought on by reading threads on the internet rather than how they actually feel.

Does anybody know if they actually have a different profile or radius or whether they're identical?

The Fortress is from 95 and the Corvette from 96.

If I were making a number of bolt-on-neck bass models, I'd make all the necks identical  in terms of dimensions, if only to simplify production and to make them readily interchangeable if one were to be damaged.

Whilst I've had 3 Warwicks in the house at once, they were a 4,5 and a 6, so I can't compare them!

Edit: I really like the balance of the Fortress Masterman 5 I have. Arguably the best I've owned. Shame it's ever-so-slightly "slabby" in terms of the body being so flat. If the forearm chamfer followed the line of the body rather than being diagonal, it'd look better.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
  • Like 1