Why become a member? ×

Crackle and noise when tone open

Blenderson

I am getting a crackle noise a bit like static when playing but only when the tone is all the way or nearly all the way up. It is intermittent and corresponds with playing notes, but there is a bit of hum as well. This hum goes away when i touch the bridge so i realise i need better shielding but the crackling static noise is new. So i don't think it's related to just bad shielding. The bass is a jazz ( PJ config). Overwater (production not uk! In my dreams...) Fitted with upgraded dimarzio pups. Volume pot for each and separate tone control. I am using drneon coated strings but they have been on a while too. (Could this be a factor?) I have had a look at the wiring and nothing obvious loose or going bad. Even re -soldered the ground to the back of the tone pot but noise is still there. Does it at my house and rehearsal room in a different amp so not environmental i don't think. I have cleaned the pot twice and there it's no scratchyness when turning so I'm not sure the pot is defective unless the capacitor is duff? Any ideas?

7 hours ago, Blenderson said:

I am getting a crackle noise a bit like static when playing but only when the tone is all the way or nearly all the way up. It is intermittent and corresponds with playing notes, but there is a bit of hum as well. This hum goes away when i touch the bridge so i realise i need better shielding but the crackling static noise is new. So i don't think it's related to just bad shielding. The bass is a jazz ( PJ config). Overwater (production not uk! In my dreams...) Fitted with upgraded dimarzio pups. Volume pot for each and separate tone control. I am using drneon coated strings but they have been on a while too. (Could this be a factor?) I have had a look at the wiring and nothing obvious loose or going bad. Even re -soldered the ground to the back of the tone pot but noise is still there. Does it at my house and rehearsal room in a different amp so not environmental i don't think. I have cleaned the pot twice and there it's no scratchyness when turning so I'm not sure the pot is defective unless the capacitor is duff? Any ideas?

My first thought is, indeed, the pot.  It isn't very often that you would physically feel any difference when the track has worn so it's not really a guide.  Very unlikely to be the capacitor. 

Pots are cheap to replace (even the good quality ones) so I would start there.

No it wasn't doing it until recently. I do use the tone control quite a lot depending on what I'm playing. It does get wound up and down regularly, but i was under the impression that that is better for them rather than leaving them stuck in one position? I have ordered the same pot so we will see how that goes..

• Like 1