Why become a member? ×

Mayones - close and personal

Soledad

Acquired a Fame fretless from Bigthumb recently - really fine bass and an enjoyable transaction. As we know, Fame is Mayones re-branded for MusicStore Germany. More recently I think the Fame guitars and basses are slight variations on the Mayones, but in the case of my BE4 it is really identical, it's a Mayo BE4.
I thought it may be of interest to get up close and see what we have got> I haven't worked out how to place text next to pics so...sorry!!

- look at that neck fit. I know you can use routers and template guides etc, but they didn't make life easy. This compound curve is immaculate. Top work.

- the pre-amp and pot cover is cut and shaped from a solid piece of ovankol. I expected a veneer over plastic, but this is major work. Not technically better, but wow these guys like to shape wood. The ovankol body is beautifully formed and crafted.

- 6 bolt neck, even the bolts are offset parallelogram-style. As good as it gets.

- ebony fingerboard - I've never seen better - very even tight grain  dense true black. Top quality ebony.

I could go on ! Every single detail is really impressive - excellent woods, workmanship, finishing... 

I think it's funny that the naff Fame logo is slightly peeling off, like the bass wants to disown the sticker. Anyway Fame sounds a bit Poundstretcher to me - it may fall off quite soon.

Big thumbs up from me to the guys at Mayones - this is so much more than a W copy. 

m5.jpg

M1.jpg

m2.jpg

m3.jpg

m4.jpg

m6.jpg

m7.jpg

Edited by Soledad
  • Like 8

So Fame is Mayones, never knew that. Always avoided them thinking they were some duff afar Eastern brand. You’d think someone in marketing would think of a better name. It’s the same with Bacchus, good brand but to have a subsidiary brand called Brian! Whoever would buy a bass called Brian!

• Like 1

I used to have a Mayones Be4 which is essentially what you have here, mine was fretted, had EMG single coils and an Aguilar OBP3 in it, as I specced those but otherwise very similar; I expect you have a very nice bass there.

Also, mine also had a contour cut away on the back at the neck joint, but I can't see any other differences

• 5 years later...

Thread revival...

Found this thread (again) trying to find out the difference(s) between Mayones and Fame - in particular the BE5.

A while back I bought a Fame Baphomet BE5 but from what I've been able to ascertain so far they don't differ that much.

The Fame website ( https://www.fame-guitars.de/en/__fame_about_en/ ) states :

"The year is 1982. A small company in Gdansk on the Baltic Sea is producing fine handmade instruments for a small loyal customer base. It takes FAME 2-3 months to produce an “official” guitar. The pioneering spirit, passion and craftsmanship of the “Mayones family” ensure that the small business grows steadily and becomes known beyond the country’s borders."

With the advent of the free market economy, the way is clear to the top. FAME invests in new, more effective machines that are useful in manufacturing. The basic idea remains the same: All instruments from Mayones are handmade – by a team of 20 people. Up to now, noble guitars have been made under the Mayones name. At the beginning of the 90s, the cooperation with MUSIC STORE finally succeeded and the brand FAME was born. The aim is to produce instruments that are in no way inferior in quality to the big American brands. At a considerably lower price than overseas.

When you hold and play a FAME guitar or bass, you can feel the years of expertise and dedication of the instrument makers, most of whom are musicians themselves. “Little-known instrument makers with a special eye for detail” – this is exactly true: Mayones pays attention to the quality and subtle elegance of the products. They used only the best woods – carefully dried and stored. Wood is the decisive factor when it comes to tone and sustain

When it comes to accessories and electronics, the respected manufacturers Schaller Electronics, Bartolini Pickups & Electronics and Aguilar Amplification are also on board. If the wood is perfect, the hardware needs a similar quality. Last but not least, FAME always has an open ear for customers’ suggestions or special requests. After all, FAME originally started in Gdansk as a pure custom shop guitar builder. What the customer wants, FAME implements: Special colours, names and logos in the fingerboard, other pick-ups, other bridges, stop tail, string through, tremolo, Floyd Rose – everything is feasible. And all this at affordable prices and acceptable delivery times.

I'm not sure how this differs from the actual basses that bear the "Mayones " logo.

However the sale prices differ hugely...Mayones BE4/5 sell for a couple of grand, the Fame models for less than half of that.

Why?? Surely, when the Fame is built from equally high quality parts, directly for Mayones, the price difference can't be explained by the name on the headstock!!??

Going to do some more research but happy to be educated by those who may already know...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/en-gb/blogs/news/inside-mayones-guitars-basses#

Mayones makes guitars and basses by hand. This may seem like a common enough selling point for most boutique manufacturers, but for brothers Dawid and Tom Dziewulski this isn’t a marketing claim. It’s their heritage. 

What began as a necessity has grown into a point of pride for the Dziewulski brothers and all of Mayones. With their mother Halina, Dawid and Tom continue to grow the family business and the “family” itself, hand-building some of the world’s finest electric guitars and basses with help from their team in Poland, their endorsees around the world, and most importantly, Dawid says, you. 

What is Mayones?
Mayones is a guitar and bass manufacturer from Poland established in 1982, and since then it has been a family business. Each guitar and bass is handmade in Poland.

Who is Mayones?
Today the company is run by Halina Dziewulska, one of the founders of Mayones, and her two sons, Dawid Dziewulski and Tom Dziewulski. There are 40 employees behind the quality of Mayones and almost half of them have worked for the company for over 20 years. We can call us a family. This allows us to improve our quality, introduce new production solutions, as well as lead in unique features of our instruments.

Mayones is lead nowadays by Dawid, who is the creator of the company's balanced progress but he is also the inspiration behind new product development.

How did you get started building guitars and basses?
It all started in a garage. My father, Zenon Dziewulski, started to make the first instruments with his friend in early 1981. We were in a completely different state of awareness, possibilities and system in our country. 1982 was also a hard time in Poland because of martial law introduced by that government from ‘81 to ‘83. Back then we needed to do all the things by ourselves–tuners, bridges, pickups and of course instruments. My Mom made the pickups. My Father tried to find a company in Poland that could make magnets for us but it was the same thing as with all the guitar parts, which was my Father simply had to design them his own way. As we were behind the iron curtain and there were no suppliers, we even had to cooperate with national military companies. After the system change, suddenly it was possible to improve all of our work (machinery, solutions, build up experience), but we were still behind the leading guitar makers all over the world.

What inspired you to begin and what inspires you continue?
Well, at the beginning the big step to make this decision was the pressure to find a way to earn money. As my father is a musician, his first choice was instruments. So the decision was pretty simple. Demand for quality electric guitars or basses at that time in Poland was really big. After this important decision, inspiration came from the big names everybody knows like Fender, Gibson, Gretsch. It was impossible to find one of those guitars in Poland at that time, so my father tried to collect music magazines where artists used those brands. I suppose that for any company looking for inspiration in the 80s, these names were the most important. Today, with one click, you can have, like, hundreds of inspirations from all over the world. Instant information. Nevertheless, we try to manage the market’s needs and become the inspiration for other manufacturers.

How would you describe a Mayones guitar or bass to someone new to the brand?
I can describe briefly what is pretty unique for my brand:
- My guitars are 100% designed and made in Poland since 1982. We are not working with any other suppliers from Asia or any other countries.
- We are a boutique brand.
- Our designs, neck joints, and body shapes are very unique.
- All our instruments are built with attention to the smallest details
- We offer hundreds of custom options. Some of them you can check out in our online configurator.
- My goal is to make the most ergonomic, comfortable instruments and the best-sounding guitars and basses and possible.

How is a Mayones guitar or bass constructed from start to finish?

First step is to collect correct specifications from the customers or our distributors. This is a very important part so my skilled sales team has to be very focused on all the options. We have to make the correct specifications in our system. Each guitar will have a unique production number (or a “born number”). A great tool and big help is our new online configurator . Customers can choose the options they really want and immediately see what the guitar looks like.

Next step is to collect orders for our production lists. Then we start preparing wood, first for the necks. The blocks have to cure after the gluing process in our special warehouse for a minimum of one month before we start cutting the neck, and another 2 months before we start shaping them.

Another step is to prepare top wood and body back material, which we normally are making during the time the necks are seasoning. So the beginning is a pretty long time period but it is necessary for great stability and final quality.
After we make the neck and body (bolt-on models) or glue the body wings to the neck (neck-thru body construction), all parts are going to the sanding department. Then finally the instruments are stained to the ordered colours and we let them dry for another 2 weeks.
Next step is to start painting which normally takes around 3-5 weeks. We have to be sure that all layers have proper time to dry.

Some of the last steps are polishing the gloss surfaces and installing the fretwork properly, as well as final quality control and assembly.

One of the most important quality control checks is to scan it with our Plek machine. We are using this tool mainly to make a final inspection of the fretboard to be sure that everything is under control. Human eye and experience cannot see everything. The Plek is the most precise tool in the music industry.

What components, designs, techniques etc. make Mayones guitars and basses unique?

Our most recognizable elements are our headstock designs. We design our own bridges for our basses. Our necks, which are made of 11pcs, are very unique. Another important element designed and made in-house is our binding. We can do it in many colors matched to the body front color. Another very unique part is our radiused body construction. When you look at the body from the back you can easily see that the body is thinner on the upper side and thicker on the bottom.

What inspires your creative process?
We are focused on designing our own solution. For example, our newest Big Foot bass bridges. We’ve had two versions–brass and aluminium with regular steel or titanium saddles. My intention was to use both materials, but in the future we are going to use only Titanium ‘cause it greatly enhances the playability and sustain.

We've also designed and produced the smallest playable bass made from the remains of the production of regular basses. This instrument gave me the idea to make and design a special headphone system which allows you to use the bass while traveling or warming up before your gig. You can simply plug in your headphones and practice anywhere.

We always try to combine our instruments with any new technology, or techniques, available on the market, but it’s very important that most of the work is done by hand, so it has a human touch. This will not change ‘cause machines can’t make instruments with soul. However, we think that the most important issue besides the instruments is the atmosphere we try to create for the customers, friends and artists with whom we cooperate–the feeling and certainty that they are the part of the Mayones family.

One of our main ideas is simply authentic. It doesn't only mean authenticity of our products, which is obvious. It also means authenticity of our brand. It means that my instruments are made in an authentic way, with passion every day.

This is what makes a Mayones a Mayones.

How long does it take to make a Mayones guitar or bass start to finish?
Usually it takes 11-15 months. Most of the orders we do are custom instruments and basically each guitar is different from any other.

What is the spirit of Mayones?
Our spirit is a combination of the hard work of my whole staff and their love for what they are doing every day.

What is the mission of Mayones?
Our mission is to maintain the growth of the company while still being a boutique brand and achieving our goals step by step. Our customers’ and artists’ trust are our priority.
While the Dziewulski family now have the option of outfitting their guitars and basses with any manufacturer’s parts and pickups, one thing hasn’t changed: the amount of precision and pride that goes into the construction of each and every Mayones instrument. To understand what it feels like to hold family in your hands, stop by our Lincoln Avenue showroom and pick up a Mayones. What you’ll be holding is forty years of determination, ingenuity, and handcrafted love, “made in an authentic way, with passion every day.”

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 2

A message from the Fame factory:

Hi Mick,

the Baphomet 5 is comparable to the BE Exotic 5 model from Mayones:

https://mayones.com/page/be-exotic-5/

Both are made in Poland  by the same luthiers. The BE Exotic has an additional mahogany-top and instead of MEC-Pickups und -Electronics it comes with Bartolini-PUs and a Mayones 3-Band-EQ.

The rest is equal.

Best regards

Dirk

Holy crap. Formatting? :/

When pasting text from another source, the forum has a button in the text editor to remove the source formatting. Select the text you want to edit, and tap the icon that looks like an underscored T with a tiny subscript X next to it. Would improve readability a LOT here ;)

I think the main difference is in the hardware and electronics. The basic framework is near identical, and both have used pretty generic hardware, depending on model year. The real Mayo's have had hardware by Warwick (the familiar 2-piece bridge and tailpiece), WSC but also Schaller depending on year. The MEC pickups and electronics aren't exactly sloppy or cheap, but also not quite in Bartolini territory. The Mayones BE4 Gothic I once played came stock with active EMG's and VVT controls. It really depends on the exact model and year.