Why become a member? ×

Upgrades to my Ray34

Waddycall

On 30/03/2019 at 17:11, Waddycall said:

Some may have seen my Ray34 in the for sale section a while back. I was not able to get the tone I wanted out of it for the band I’m in. It wasn’t selling and rather then drop the price further I decided to hang onto it and turn it in to the bass I wanted it to be.

ive fitted the 3 band John east pre amp with variable mid frequency, a nordstrand mm4.2 pickup and a tort guard to fit the new pickup. It’s becom a much more useable bass in my hands and to my ears. The biggest difference has been the pre amp. With the original I never knew what to do with the treble control because of all the clicking and clanking it seemed to accentuate. With the John east I can have the treble right up for some sizzle without the unwanted noise. It now sounds warmer and fatter too. if anyone else is considering changing the electronics in a Ray34 I’d recommend the east pre amp first. The pickup was a smaller step in the same direction.

For the total spend I could have bought a second hand stingray but I’m still very pleased with the result. I love the neck on this bass and didn’t really want to let it go.

F9B58B44-9DDD-4517-9C51-495852BE285A.jpeg

8E173A1B-B75E-4C13-95D5-ED44C4B9645C.jpeg

Hi Waddycall, 

was the pickguard you used to fit the new pickup an original usa stingray pickguard, or one for different model of Sterling (e.g. Ray4 or Ray24) which use the pickup shape with that two semicircles on the top?

Thanks for any advise!

Edited by mike.stone