Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot V6 head

nash

[quote name='nash' post='354227' date='Dec 14 2008, 01:53 PM']best valve head over all. discuss.

i tried one lastnight and it was so so good. better than the sunn i had.[/quote]
i've had one, seems to be all low end and no mids or highs, sounds great on its own but once you play with it in a band mix its all mud

i used it with a fender p with an emg into a blackstar ht-dist then the head then a peavey 8x10.

eq on the trace was flat and so was the blackstar pretty much. i could hear every note and so could my guitarist. not muddy at all. best tone i've ever had.

Haha Nash, I actually searched by your username as I'd had a feeling you'd have made a post here today :)

You kept the MXR off when you played yeah? I had the EQ flat on the Trace and had a slight bass/treble boost and mid cut on that in the loop. Head had bright/deep switches on and the midshift was off. I need to spend a good amount of time where I can play through the rig loud so I can work out where and what I want to EQ etc.

When Veen was linechecking through it, even at the bar my clothes were vibrating. I knew then I'd made the right choice!

edit: If anyone has a history behind the V6 I'd be really interested.. ie the V4 and V8 are more obviously little/big brother with the 2 gain / compressor / half power options and a near-identical look, whereas the V6 seems a different beast altogether with none of those features and a completely different design. And if anyone has a PDF manual, it'd be appreciated as the TE website has a V4 and V8 manual, but no V6.

Edited by JayX

[quote name='JayX' post='354738' date='Dec 15 2008, 12:55 AM']edit: If anyone has a history behind the V6 I'd be really interested.. ie the V4 and V8 are more obviously little/big brother with the 2 gain / compressor / half power options and a near-identical look, whereas the V6 seems a different beast altogether with none of those features and a completely different design. And if anyone has a PDF manual, it'd be appreciated as the TE website has a V4 and V8 manual, but no V6.[/quote]
The V6 was the forerunner to the V4/V8. The initial V-Type range came out in about 1995 (I think) with an all-valve head (220W, sometimes called the V4), a hybrid combo (250W MOSFET - I have one and love it) and the standalone preamp.

This range got revamped into the V6, 300H and 600H heads (V6 being all valve 400W, 300H and 600H being MOSFET power amps) plus the revised 1x15 combo and a 4x8 combo + ext cab.

Then the "newer" V-Type range superseded that in about 1999 with the V4, V8 and the new V4 combos.

[quote name='nash' post='354227' date='Dec 14 2008, 01:53 PM']best valve head over all. discuss.

i tried one lastnight and it was so so good. better than the sunn i had.[/quote]

I've had Sunn's,Ampeg's,Mesa's (All Tube's) and a V6 and the V6 was the sweetest one to my ears without a doubt, but I do like KT66 a lot anyway it is the tube of choice for bass IMO.

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='356281' date='Dec 16 2008, 07:05 PM']I've had Sunn's,Ampeg's,Mesa's (All Tube's) and a V6 and the V6 was the sweetest one to my ears without a doubt, but I do like KT66 a lot anyway it is the tube of choice for bass IMO.[/quote]

I'm sure its kt88's but could be wrong! however, have to agree the v6 is the sweetest most nicest one out of the three, the v8 is boutique but...mine the v4 is a roaring in your face monster!!!

• 4 years later...

Good day -

Anyone know of a .pdf manual for the V6? I have a call in to Trace Elliot in the USA, waiting to hear back from their Tech support crew. Hopefully someone here may know of something. If I am made aware of a link from TE I'll post it here.

Take care -

Dennis
Silver Spring, MD USA

I had a V6,really nice amp but had reliability issues,it now resides in the states,I now use a Mk2 V4,for me a better amp,valve compressor and a real dirty channel.Its awesome, would of prefered the V8 for a little more clean headroom but its plenty loud enough before breakup