Why become a member? ×

Bass bins and tops

tonybassplayer

Just on the point of buying some used bass bins to supplement our tops to allow us to start reducing on stage volume and go through the desk and i was just wondering how the wires connect from the amp.

I am almost a complete novice regarding this but I assume that the leads come from the amp to the bass bins that somehow detects what they need to reproduce sound wise and then the signal continues to the tops to re produce the vocals/higher frequencies.

Am I correct ?? or have I got it totally wrong ??

Many thanks

Tony

Some bass bins have inbuilt crossovers fixed at certain frequencies (I think 150k is common). Everything above that is filtered out and can be passed though to the tops.

The better but more expensive way is to take the desk output, feed it in to a crossover unit, then take one feed out to an amp feeding the tops (set at your desired frequencies) and one out to an amp feeding the subs. This allows you to independently control the output of the tops and the subs.

You'll have to check the manufacturers specs. My Passive P.A. goes to the Tops first, because that's where the crossover sends it. My Active P.A. goes to the Bins first, because that's where the crossover is on that system. On some others, it actually doesn't seem to matter. :)