Why become a member? ×

Help achieving my perfect bass sound

RobBassMan

The player's name is Bakithi Kumalo & on the recording, they recorded the first half of him playing the bass run, then later used it played back in reverse, apparently. He uses Warwick Streamer 5's & some exotic single-cut six-stringer, so very woody basses mainly through Aguilar amps. He quite often plays an upside down damping effect with his left hand, creating a double-damped double bass-type sound.

Have a look at his website...

www.bakithikumalo.com

Rich.

As a famous player (I think it was Jamerson) once said, the funk is in the fingers. You can buy all the gear that player X uses, and believe me stick around here and you will see plenty of clones, put if you dont play like they do you wont sound like they do.

The Ox always sounded like the Ox no matter what he was playing, even though some people did not like his later sound it was always Ox sound.

Edited by bass_ferret

[quote name='RobBassMan' post='356772' date='Dec 17 2008, 11:09 AM']....My ideal bass sound is the bass on 'call me Al' (Paul Simon).
Do you guys have any advice on what equipment exists to help me reproducing a similar sound, ideally live (e.g. ideal amp/guitar/compressor/chorus etc)....[/quote]
Bakithi Kumalo was the bassist. I believe, in Africa, he used to play an old Washburn but he could have used any bass for recording. He would also have recorded via a DI so you are unlikely to match his recorded sound exactly by just buying equipment. If you use your ears you should get close by EQ'ing any amp and bass combination.

The "exotic single-cut six-stringer" is made by Canadian Ken Lawrence and is a C Brase 2.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='356888' date='Dec 17 2008, 12:53 PM']As a famous player (I think it was Jamerson) once said, the funk is in the fingers. You can buy all the gear that player X uses, and believe me stick around here and you will see plenty of clones, put if you dont play like they do you wont sound like they do.

The Ox always sounded like the Ox no matter what he was playing, even though some people did not like his later sound it was always Ox sound.[/quote]
Slightly OT but following on from this, there's a thread on TB at the mo about Rocco Prestia needing a new amp - several guys are saying how they've seen him play Edens, SWRs, GKs etc etc and all the time just sounds the same. Same with me, I can play Ashdowns, Hartkes, Traces, etc etc and still always sound sh*t :)

Bakithi Kumalo is slapping a fretless bass, the Washburn?, at the concert so that will make it a very difficult sound to emulate. Also check him out on [url="http://www.bassplayer.tv/"]http://www.bassplayer.tv/[/url]

Check out clip 10....... he tells you exactly how to get his sound. You won't be happy!!!

Edited by chris_b