Why become a member? ×

JoinMyBand Just gets worse!

thebrig

I feel your pain! I’ve spent about 3 years kissing a lot of frogs before finding some good folks to dep for who are good musicians, nice dependable people,and get good, fun gigs. Hang in there…better times ahead!

@Dave Evans Your "about me" runs to 9 pages.

Your "philosophy" also runs to several paragraphs. 

You need a single paragraph on your Home page that says who you are, (where you live, what you play, what kind of music you play, (age?), how long you've been playing)

And that's it. 

Even your 2 posts here are extremely long winded and difficult to follow.

When people contact you, what kind of communication are you doing yourself, because I'm already disuaded due to what my first impressions are.

And you could be seen to be spamming Basschat with you website.

I'm trying to be candid while remaining helpful. 

• Like 13

I'm in one of my bands as the result of a JMB ad. 

I was very specific about the kind of music I wanted play and what kind of commitment I was expecting from any band I wanted to join.

It took almost a year before someone answered my ad, but the band were exactly what I was looking for. 

• Like 3

Both my last two bands were from JoinMyBand, and in my last side band we got the guitarist from an ad in JMB. So for all its problems it has been invaluable for me. its not an issue with the site, but any free resource that is open to anyone is going to have a large percentage of people who are no use, that is just the public, so it should be no surprise, but it is easy enough to filter.

Franky I would find someone replying 'Im not interested' to be a near perfect reply, ie, they replied, they were polite, and saved you from any other effort on that route.

• Like 4

JMB, like any open-to-anyone site, has an enormous variety of people posting. They range, as does all of humanity, from the sublime to the ridiculous in terms of personality, ability, manners, etc.

The fact that a few may be less than ideal is no reason to knock JMB itself. I've joined a couple of decent bands via JMB. It was especially helpful when I moved to a completely new area and wanted to make contact with local players and find a band or two to play in. Sure, I had to follow up on a few red herrings and sort the wheat from the chaff, but that's just what you have to do in most aspects of your life.

If you don't mind paying, BandMix is worth a look.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, TimR said:

I use BandMix and haven't needed to pay. I'm not sure what paying gets you? 

Bandmix isn’t great because folk cannot message you unless they pay !

Works if you use an easy to find contact name on Facebook etc but apart from that it’s good but a shame you have to pay to make contact with musicians or bands 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Bandmix isn’t great because folk cannot message you unless they pay !

Works if you use an easy to find contact name on Facebook etc but apart from that it’s good but a shame you have to pay to make contact with musicians or bands 

Bandmix attracts a lot of imbeciles who tick every box, so if I look for a band that's seeking a bass guitarist, 80% of them are also apparently seeking accordion, acoustic guitar, background singer, bagpipes,..., vocalist (tenor).

JMB isn't great to search on - I want to look for bands up to 40 miles away, which means Staffs, Warks, Derbys, West Mids, Notts, Leics at least. At least Bandmix lets you effectively stick in a pin and draw a circle, although its interpretation of "distance" appears entirely random after that (no, London is not within 50km or whatever it is).

23 hours ago, Dave Evans said:

Guys I have to conclude with the comments here. I have just had another reply from some one who calls themselves a Musician on JMB by the name of Nutsack or should I say he called himself rucksack52 but I knew what he meant. "Im'e not interested thanks" was the reply.

Well here's my site-     daveevansguitar.co.uk    and see if you'd be interested enough at least to reply with little more humility and grace, being as the film clip alone cost thousands to put together.

Some time ago I sent out 58 messages to people on Bandmix that Purport to be musicians, I got 12 replies and some of these were simply insulting. As Psychotherapist,  "I mentioned this before" a fancy word for a counsellor, its easy to see See Ego driven statements especially if you of the same discipline ie Chest beating mechanics to Musicians. I have certainly found that the "better you are at something the less people like it" Unless of course you are Guthrie Govan or Jacko Pistorius then you'd be on the phone/post bragging to people about how you just had a lesson with them. We are all programmed to praise aren't we. We have to learn the difference between Critique and Criticising. Anyway if there are any bass players out there who feel like putting some effort in to a three piece and backing a decent gunslinger give us a shout. Contact details are on my site .....Tra La Dave.

My insomnia has been cured! 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, tauzero said:

Bandmix attracts a lot of imbeciles who tick every box

And bassists who do backing vocals who tick "bass vocals" and have an Irish traditional vocal harmony group hounding them for weeks before the penny drops. Oh, I mean, a guy I know once did that. Not me. Honest.

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Supernaut said:

My insomnia has been cured! 

That piqued my curiosity enough to actually look at it. He might be a guitarist, he's not a web designer.

23 hours ago, TimR said:

@Dave Evans Your "about me" runs to 9 pages.

Your "philosophy" also runs to several paragraphs. 

You need a single paragraph on your Home page that says who you are, (where you live, what you play, what kind of music you play, (age?), how long you've been playing)

And that's it. 

Even your 2 posts here are extremely long winded and difficult to follow.

When people contact you, what kind of communication are you doing yourself, because I'm already disuaded due to what my first impressions are.

And you could be seen to be spamming Basschat with you website.

I'm trying to be candid while remaining helpful. 

Not only 9 pages, but it claims to be “brief” as well! I do not want to see the first unedited version!

Now I love to play in a good 3 piece band, but that bio makes me worry that the author of it wouldn’t be able to self edit when playing either. I’ve been in bands like that before and the guitarist ends up like Joe Bonamassa when he’s off his Ritalin. 

• Like 1

On 06/06/2024 at 12:46, tauzero said:

Bandmix attracts a lot of imbeciles who tick every box, so if I look for a band that's seeking a bass guitarist, 80% of them are also apparently seeking accordion, acoustic guitar, background singer, bagpipes,..., vocalist (tenor).

Or the people who advertise for other people when they're putting themselves out there. So many bass players seeking other bass players!

17 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Or the people who advertise for other people when they're putting themselves out there. So many bass players seeking other bass players!

"Bass player seeks similar".