Why become a member? ×

Lakland parts assembly

NancyJohnson

I've been bitten by the Lakland bug and have exchanged a few mails with Lakland about cobbling together something from stock parts. They've inferred that they're happy enough to sell me parts for what I want to achieve (and for what I can't get, I'll buy from a third party).

I've thrown together something in Photoshop...essentially a JO body, Duck Dunn neck. I'm a sucker for block inlays. Looks kinda yummy. Good or bad? Opinions? Or should I just get a Geddy Lee Jazz?

Cheers
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='357539' date='Dec 18 2008, 08:37 AM']Already got a DJ5!
P[/quote]

ok. Im just confused as to what the difference is other than the finish. The DD neck is the same as the DJ neck IIR.
In fact if its the Skyline DD neck wont the headstock be red?

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='357543' date='Dec 18 2008, 08:47 AM']ok. Im just confused as to what the difference is other than the finish. The DD neck is the same as the DJ neck IIR.
In fact if its the Skyline DD neck wont the headstock be red?[/quote]

When I was thinking about turning my DD fretless I checked whether I could get a JO neck for it.

The profiles of the JO and DD necks are the same.

The DJ neck is different.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='357479' date='Dec 18 2008, 12:38 AM']....I've thrown together something in Photoshop...essentially a JO body, Duck Dunn neck. I'm a sucker for block inlays. Looks kinda yummy. Good or bad? Opinions? Or should I just get a Geddy Lee Jazz?....[/quote]
Lakland everytime!

[quote name='obbm' post='357562' date='Dec 18 2008, 09:09 AM']When I was thinking about turning my DD fretless I checked whether I could get a JO neck for it.

The profiles of the JO and DD necks are the same.

The DJ neck is different.[/quote]

Ah right, i didnt know that (or hadn't looked ;-).

cheers.

I wonder how easy it will be to get a DD neck without the headstock being red

Edited by dave_bass5

To answer everything here, the DJ neck has an extra fret, so wouldn't be any good. The DD and JO necks are interchangeable. Lakland have confirmed that to keep prices down, I can go with an aftermarket bell plate for concentric/stack-knobs as the Fender one fits.

I've only had the DJ5 for three weeks or so and I've come to realise that my Precision will never get jammed/gigged again, so that's up for sale...what I get for that will go against this.

I do look on Gary's collection of Spectors and think wouldn't it be great to have a ton of basses, but in truth I need a four to go with my five and twelve and that's it. This will give me all the tone and variety I need. I need to finish my Spectorbird project as well. Might get an Ashbory.

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='357710' date='Dec 18 2008, 11:29 AM']To answer everything here, the DJ neck has an extra fret, so wouldn't be any good. The DD and JO necks are interchangeable. Lakland have confirmed that to keep prices down, I can go with an aftermarket bell plate for concentric/stack-knobs as the Fender one fits.

P[/quote]

Now it all makes sense.

Good luck with it.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='357710' date='Dec 18 2008, 11:29 AM']I've only had the DJ5 for three weeks or so and I've come to realise that my Precision will never get jammed/gigged again, so that's up for sale...what I get for that will go against this.

P[/quote]

I said that when my Jo Osbourne arrived

I still use a precision as much or more

Edited by bumnote