Why become a member? ×

Pups for fretless?

lownote

I have a Revelation PB unlined fretless which is the favourite of all my 40+ basses down 10 years.  

The OE pups are Alan Entwhistle PBXNs.  Which sound great, and with flats sound so like a DB but so much better.  But no one ever  got a bad attack of GAS by leaving it at that.  

So from personal experience, if you've fiddled with different pups for a P bass with flats and found a stand out pickup you liked - what was it?  I've had Toneriders in the past and liked them on a  P bass, but I've read the Custom shop Fender 62 at 110 £ is nice, as also is the Nordstrand. Maybe there's others I've not come across.

Thoughts?

While my instruments do not have actual P, my preference for a neck pickup - fretted or fretless - is a humbucker. At the moment my fretless has that roundish Delano. I have a switch for ser/par/single and most of the time the switch is set to basic humbucker. It is not about the sound level but the roundness of the sound.

I feel that a single has somewhat compressed and thinner sound, while a humbucker cuts some top sizzle. As I mostly play in a middle sized band (we are twelve), I try to stay within my frequency band. Otherwise I might step on the toes of the guitarist and the piano player.

I see, that the pickup choice depends on the band, the instruments, playing style, and personal preference.