Why become a member? ×

Stereo out from Bass MuRF

xgsjx

Does anyone know if it is safe to take a lead with two mono 1/4 jacks on one end to a stereo 2.4mm jack from the MuRF into my mac to get a stereo recording?
I know with some devices this can do damage to one or both (made this mistake in the past).

G

[quote name='xgsjx' post='366059' date='Dec 30 2008, 10:32 AM']Does anyone know if it is safe to take a lead with two mono 1/4 jacks on one end to a stereo 2.4mm jack from the MuRF into my mac to get a stereo recording?
I know with some devices this can do damage to one or both (made this mistake in the past).

G[/quote]

What kind of damage did it cause?

Yeah that will work – I take it the ¼ inch jacks are coming from the murf and the mini jack is going into the laptop? I can’t see any reason why that wouldn’t work cos the input on the Mac should be a stereo mini jack input.

What software are you using to record?

Many moons ago I put 2 mono channels onto a stereo jack & because it was 2 separate lines, it caused a short & burnt out the amp.

I don't want a similar thing happening to the mac or the murf & I'm probably being over cautious.

I'm using either Garageband or Audacity to record.

G

[quote name='xgsjx' post='366326' date='Dec 30 2008, 03:38 PM']Many moons ago I put 2 mono channels onto a stereo jack & because it was 2 separate lines, it caused a short & burnt out the amp.

I don't want a similar thing happening to the mac or the murf & I'm probably being over cautious.

I'm using either Garageband or Audacity to record.

G[/quote]

If you’ve got 2 separate mono jacks going into a stereo jack then they are still 2 separate channels/lines – a stereo signal is just 2 separate channels playing back simultaneously to give a natural impression or representation of sound/music being heard from a specific direction or different directions (it’s like if you shut one eye you have no depth perception, but when both are open it becomes much clearer where things are), but each channel is separate and not a conjoined entity.

The 2 mono jacks should be taking a side of the stereo jack each (left and right), and then the software you’re using will record the stereo input as an interleaved stereo track (probably; some DAW software like Pro Tools doesn’t deal with interleaved tracks at all but it will record the left and right sides separately and join then within the software).

Basically, I can’t see how what you’re proposing to do can damage the input on your mac. I may be wrong though and someone with a bit more experience will be able to elaborate. Hope what I’ve said makes sense; I tend to ramble :)

Cheers Ben,

My concern I think is if putting the two mono jacks into the MuRF will cause a short in it as the stereo jack has the two shield (Negative feeds) linked.

If the MuRF's outs are wired inside on the sockets as to be left jack = Positive tip & right jack = Negative tip, then that is what could cause damage.
It's probably unlikely to be this, but if it was only to run separate mono leads for both left & right, then it would make no difference.

G