Why become a member? ×

Mad DB player on youtube

warwickhunt

That has made my day! Su-bloody-perb, thanks very much. I'll be mailing the link to my buddies in The Ukes of Hazzard (or maybe not - they'll be wanting me to do it at the next gig).

But I'd have to say that just about 90% of non-classical bass players back then wore tuxes (suits at the very least) and slapped like crazy. Anyone see the Swing shows on bbc3 or 4 before xmas? loads of footage of suited jazz musos slapping away. Jazz and blues guys were doing this years before Bill Black etc (probably without the comb-over, that's true).

And, errr... perhaps not as insanely as this guy. What a star. I wonder what he did next?

They slapped because that's the only way they got heard before basses were amped. Jimmy Blanton changed all that when he joined Duke Ellington and you could actually hear the notes clearly. The Duke made sure that he was forward in the mix when the band recorded. He broke the mould and started the style that all those after him followed. He died at a sadly young age of 23 but in that short life became one of the bass greats.

By the way, the slapper on the clip isn't left handed. The images seem to be transposed left to right; look at the marimbas.