Why become a member? ×

Pickup upgrade options for a Lakland 55/01

Hamster

I've read a few posts about pickup upgrades for the Lakland 55 series. I was toying with the idea of a pair of Nordstrands, but I'm not sure about which ones in particular to go for. I'd like a pair which keep the versatility of the originals as I play several styles of music.

Anyone here done a similar upgrade with Nordies or other makes, and what were the results?

Taverymuchindeed

[quote name='Hamster' post='373742' date='Jan 8 2009, 12:48 AM']I've read a few posts about pickup upgrades for the Lakland 55 series. I was toying with the idea of a pair of Nordstrands, but I'm not sure about which ones in particular to go for. I'd like a pair which keep the versatility of the originals as I play several styles of music.

Anyone here done a similar upgrade with Nordies or other makes, and what were the results?

Taverymuchindeed[/quote]

I don't get the deal with Nordstrand personally. I think a lot of it is hype and a case of the Emperors new clothes. Certainly the Nordstrands I have had have been particularly tonally good. It appears they are quite liberally wound giving a very middy sound with a brittle top. They also buzz like mad... both the singles and the split singles. Ask Machines. I spoke to him a while back about the hype of it all... and in the end, he experienced the same problems as I did. Whether or not it's the same for their humbuckers (I'm not sure as I lost interest a while back) I don't know because I simply haven't tried them. 5501 is loaded with two singles right?

If you want to do anything, keep the stock Barts and change the pre. You get more difference in changing the pre than you ever will out of changing those pickups.

Whilst there is some hum at high volume/treble levels - they are single coils designed to be vintage style. I think they have significantly improved the sound of my Jazz and I'm glad I got them. There are hum cancelling varieties available if you so wish.

[quote name='Machines' post='374089' date='Jan 8 2009, 02:40 PM']Whilst there is some hum at high volume/treble levels - they are single coils designed to be vintage style. I think they have significantly improved the sound of my Jazz and I'm glad I got them. There are hum cancelling varieties available if you so wish.[/quote]

Yes - the split coils... which are noisy also... and not particularly "vintagey" if that is the thing you are trying to go for. There are ways of quietening the noise - like by potting the pickups, but you don't get guaranteed results. If you can cope with noise, then they are OK I guess.

Trust me, stick with the Barts. The amount of pain I had with the Nordstrand single coils... again, JMHO.

If you do go Nordstrand, consider going passive.

I've got an Audere preamp fitted which is really good. It was a big improvement on the stock board. The standard pickups are Bartolini Mk1 split-coil soapbars. Maybe I just have a few quid burning a hole in my pocket? :)

I'm still toying with the idea of a fatstack and a big single - or maybe EMG's?