Why become a member? ×

Schaller Humbucker

Beedster

I use a Schaller J bridge pickup on my workhorse Precision and it's pretty good.

I'd be wary of using one in your bridge position though because it's more-or-less a standard guitar humbucker size and the string spacing on a Fender bass will be a bit wide at the bridge. Should be fine for neck though.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='377213' date='Jan 11 2009, 09:59 PM']I've got a Schaller guitar humbucjer with bar rail type pole thing going on. I was considering it on a bass, but the strings are only just over it at the neck position.[/quote]

Some of the reviews from the US say the same thing of the bass version....

Chris, there is bound to be some spacings that the Schaller wont suit, but with adjustable pole pieces you can balance the output form each string anyway so not an issue.

The blade type guitar one is a diiferent issue... that being said as long as the blade is wide enough to capture teh full oscilation of the string and has a good enough magnet again this shouldnt be an issue....

[quote name='The Burpster' post='378590' date='Jan 13 2009, 07:33 AM']Chris, there is bound to be some spacings that the Schaller wont suit, but with adjustable pole pieces you can balance the output form each string anyway so not an issue.

The blade type guitar one is a diiferent issue... that being said as long as the blade is wide enough to capture teh full oscilation of the string and has a good enough magnet again this shouldnt be an issue....[/quote]

Cheers Bob, think in the first instance I'm going to call Andy at Wizard and see what he can put under the existing Fender PUP cover. I love the vintage vibe of the bass as a whole and although I'd like a PUP with a lower o/p and perhaps slightly less boom, having thought about it (and tried to visualise how it would look), I don't want a very contemporary looking lump of plastic sitting where the lovely aging chrome is now ;)