Why become a member? ×

Epiphone EB-0 Pickup options?

HarryPotter

I noticed today just how microphonic the pup is on this bass (and how weedy output voltage wise).

Basically it needs replacing - the bass is great, pup aside.

So does anybody have any ideas for a drop in replacement?

Electronics and soldering etc. I am good at, I just don't fancy cutting wood.

I've contacted Brandoni to see if they have anything and Andy at Wizard to see if he is able to help.

Best price I can get a Dimarzio model one for is about £75 from Thomman.

So what do you guys know / think.

TIA

[quote name='HarryPotter' post='376895' date='Jan 11 2009, 04:39 PM']I noticed today just how microphonic the pup is on this bass (and how weedy output voltage wise).

Basically it needs replacing - the bass is great, pup aside.

So does anybody have any ideas for a drop in replacement?

Electronics and soldering etc. I am good at, I just don't fancy cutting wood.

I've contacted Brandoni to see if they have anything and Andy at Wizard to see if he is able to help.

Best price I can get a Dimarzio model one for is about £75 from Thomman.

So what do you guys know / think.

TIA[/quote]

Expensive but ..... Dark Star

[quote name='neepheid' post='377116' date='Jan 11 2009, 08:27 PM']+1 for the DiMarzio Model One, I have one in my EB-3[/quote]

Using just the neck pup, how would you describe the tone please?

The standard pup on an EB-0 is just like it says on the tin, muddy ;)

the main prob is there are so many mids it's not easy to tell the difference between an open E and an E played on the D string :P

Ideally the Pup I'm after would lose some of the mids and gain a bit more articulation but keep the rumbling lows and gain a bit more in the way of dynamics.

Ideally :)

But right now I'd settle for not being microphonic.

[quote name='HarryPotter' post='377174' date='Jan 11 2009, 09:30 PM']Using just the neck pup, how would you describe the tone please?

The standard pup on an EB-0 is just like it says on the tin, muddy ;)

the main prob is there are so many mids it's not easy to tell the difference between an open E and an E played on the D string :P

Ideally the Pup I'm after would lose some of the mids and gain a bit more articulation but keep the rumbling lows and gain a bit more in the way of dynamics.

Ideally :)

But right now I'd settle for not being microphonic.[/quote]

From memory, I recall that the Model One definitely firmed up the tone, more articulation as you said but I can't remember how the old one sounded. I've got an EB-0 coming this week so I'll be able to make some better comparisons and maybe make some sound recordings for you so you can make your own mind up. Remember that the EB-3 might sound a little different due to the longer scale.

I also installed a Hipshot Supertone bridge which I believe also had a beneficial effect on tone of the bass.

[quote name='neepheid' post='377187' date='Jan 11 2009, 09:43 PM']Remember that the EB-3 might sound a little different due to the longer scale.[/quote]

The original Gibson EB-3's were short scale - 30 1/2", and the EB-3L was 34" scale. IIRC there were much more EB3s than there were EB3Ls made.

Edited by synaesthesia

Sound clips would be wonderful if possible, I'm sure that others on here would be interested as well (scale length excepted).

At the moment I am 'living' with the bridge, it's not wonderful but it works (just), for me it's just the neck on this little beasty that's so comfy and keeps me coming back.

In fact, as a bass to play it's just so comfy and they are so rarely seen compared to Fendery type of instruments.

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='377199' date='Jan 11 2009, 09:51 PM']The original Gibson EB-3's were short scale - 30 1/2", and the EB-3L were 34" scale.[/quote]

We're talking Epiphones here, sorry for not making myself clear. The Epi EB-3 is 34" - I know they've called it the wrong thing. Not that it's a super accurate reissue like ;)